News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1977 Eldorado Generator Lamp

Started by George Woodford clc21025, November 26, 2005, 03:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Woodford clc21025

I noticed the Generator light on the dash board is on, but dim while the engine is running.  Depress the acelerator pedal and it turns off.  I guess it is time to replace the generator with a rebuilt model I have on the shelf.  What is usually the failing part?

Mike #19861

The part that usually faild that causes this condition is the diode trio. This is a small set of diodes directly off the stator windings that give the voltage signal to the internal regulator.

Mike

George Woodford clc21025

Thanks Mike.  I spoke to a local company owned by Delco Remy who rebuilds alternators for retailers.  They told me repair work is done for NAPA, Autozone, etc.  The representative told me Autozone has an alternator tester in the store to check the function of the alternator at no charge.  Depending on the weather I plan to remove the alternator and take it to Autozone for the test.  Ill post my findings...  

George Woodford clc21025

Check the alternator at Autozone using the tester they have onsite.  It failed the test.  I was wondering if you can install a 85 amp alternator in place of a 63 amp alternator? Is the mounting bracket different and would the electrical connection/circuit be different in the car? If you need a new alternator, then buy it at one of the aftermaket stores.  The alternators are rebuit DELCO Remy units.  I cannot see paying twice a much for one in a DELCO box.  Any comments?

Mike #19861

Yes, you can install an 85 amp alternator. You just need the cast aluminum lower bracket the bolts the the head. The wiring is the same, so it is plug and play.

Just because it is a remanufactured Delco-Remy unit, it does not mean that it is of the same quality as one in a Delco box. Many jobber remans are remanufactured with cheap components and they may not last as long as a Delco reman unit. Now, it is also safe to say the Delco may have contracted its remanufacturing to another company that may also supply the jobber chains. But these companies will have to give the quality that Delco demands so that the warranty can be honoured. Typically it is one year as compared to 90 days with a jobber reman.

Mike

Jim Skelly, CLC #15958

George,

I had a bad experience buying a rebuilt alternator for my 71 Eldorado back in the 70s.  After I finally got the long bolt to thread through the alternator housing (the most difficult part of the job) and tightened it, I put the last bolt into the top of the housing.  While tightening that, I noticed that the threads were stripped on the housing!  I took it back and inspected a few more before I found one that had good threads in every threaded opening.

Inspect the housing carefully before you take it home and test the threads before you attempt to install it.

I agree with the previous post on the diodes being the problem.

68 Eldorado
77 Biarritz

George Woodford clc21025

Great observation! When installing the rebuilt unit be carefully tightening the bolt to the front bracket.  Over tighting might break the mounting hole threads.  This refers back to what you said to look for in a rebuilt unit.  I am interested in converting my 63 amp generator to the 80 amp model.  I checked with a salvage yard and the cost is $150 for the mounting parts.  I havent had the best of luck with some salvage yards, so I hesitate to spend $150.  Any ideas on how to proceed with this matter.  Email me directly, if you wish.  Thanks.

George Woodford clc21025

After taking a closer look at the existing 63 amp w/o AIR generator installed in the Eldorado, the mounting hardware appears to be the same for the 80 amp generator.  The depth of the two generators is the same at 4 1/8 inches.  I figure I can compensate for the difference in the diameter of the generator case by rotating the front bracket upward.  (The distance between the mounting bolts on the generator case is 8 inches verses about 9 inches for the 80 amp model.)  The only difference I noticed is that there is another mounting bolt on the backside of the 63 amp generator that is positioned differently on the 80 amp model.