News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How do you use this Forum? Comments wanted!

Started by Jeff Hansen, #4225, November 27, 2005, 08:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Hansen, #4225

Hello all,

Because of the problems with the Forum over the last six months or so (including this View New Posts problem), we are actively looking for replacement software for this Forum.

We want to keep the existing feature set (IE, no need to login, ability to view new posts, etc.) and add spell check, the ability to attach photos, easier image referencing, etc.

With regards to usability, I have questions on how each of you uses the Forum.  

How do you view the list of threads?  Do you use the default expanded mode, or do you prefer collapsed mode?  If you arent sure what Im referring to, go back to any of the forum listings and toggle the "Collapse Posts"/"Expand Posts" button.

How do you view individual threads?  Do you use the default threaded mode or do you prefer flat mode? Again, if you arent sure what Im referring to, open up one of the threads that has more than one response (this one once some folks have responded) and toggle the "Flat Mode"/"Threaded Mode" button.

Does this matter to you at all!?!

Have any of you visited the Forum for the Modified Chapter of the CLC?  If not, please visit it and manuever around it; go into some of the threads.  Content aside, would that Forum software be suitable to replace this?

The Modified Chapter Forum is at:   http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/

What are some of the other forums you visit that might be suitable for the CLC to use?

Your comments are welcome and encouraged.

Thanks,
Jeff

Michael Stamps 19507

"Content aside, would that Forum software be suitable to replace this?"

LOL ... yes the Modified guys do tend to be a little loose.  We just got our first rule this week.

Stampie

Justin Crosby #22536

Eric Kahn clc 20839

I use the default settings, the most common forum software tends to be the category/thread type like modified cadillacs, either type works for me

Lou 19028

The Modified Chapter Forum would be a suitable replacement/improvement. I would suggest that it would be a good time to expand the forum options. For example have a forum for general automotive discussion(lots of that going on here lately) also a forum where local regions could post upcoming events. Avatars are cool,along with post counts and sigs...Generally speaking, I am for anything that will put all of us Cadillac folk under one roof. There are too many other Cadillac forums out there right now and in my opinion I believe that this antiquated forum software drove a lot of folks away. Please dont take this as a knock toward you Jeff. I truly appreciate your efforts. I just cant stand this format :)

Lou (again)

If you are only allowed one change, please let it be the ability to edit our own post.....

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Jeff,

Well, I use Expanded and Flat, but then I am open to any suggestion that others like.

I like the Modified format, and the current CLC format, but I also liked the initial CLC format.

But, Spell-ckecker would be really nice.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

James Keith #20178

Jeff,
     Im rather new to the discussions but it seems to be a wealth to me. The modified forum is nice, but this format is very easy to navigate when I simply start from the first post and work through the responses (expanded mode/default). If you are limited with what you can change youre on the right track with spell check, and it is frustrating not to be able to edit your own post after posting it. More than anything, thank you for managing this, I am very happy with the way it is and I look forward to the imporvements.

-James Keith-

Dave Smith #17592

Hi Jeff,

Spell check would be great!   So would the ability to go back and edit a post after it was on the board.  And pictures!  Yay!   that would be sweet!

David

Mike #19861

Myself, I just use the default settings. It works for me and Im used to it.

Im also over at the Modified board. There are things that I like there too, like the little icons that pop up when there is a new post on the subject and the ability to include pictures with your post.

For the most part, I use whatever forum as it comes to me. There are so many differant types out there with so many options, that it just gets too confusing to get deep in them all. Simplicity is important. More features = more confusion.

Mike

Peter CLC#19666

Id like something similar to http://www.solsticeforum.com TARGET=_blank>www.solsticeforum.com because of its ability to edit the message once youve posted it. Plus, you are able to add avatars and emoticons to enhance the nuances of your feelings.

Kevin Parkinson 20216

I always collapse and leave the replies threaded.

Ive always thought it would save the club a ton of money if the membership directory was online.  It could be password protected for members only.  Maybe that could be part of a new forum package.

Andrew 10642

Expanded Flat
My goal is to not reread what I have seen before.

The software I like is on Mercedesshop.com, similar to the modified chapter.

Whatever you choose, it must have the ability to post photos and notify members when additional items have been posted to a thread that has been subscribed to.  Also,  allow for a banner headline ads, in order to allow the club to make money off ads.

Shoot for the stars,so the CLC gets the benefit!! (both membership and revenue).  In all honesty, the modified chapters and various subchapters should be brought into the fold to allow "1-stop shopping"  the CLC needs to realize the the WWW is a marketing and knowledge tool, and that new membership will grow exponentially if the CLC is aggressive in this area.

The only constant is change.  I dont like it most of the time either, but time to join the wave of change!!

Bill Sullivan

I would like to be able to post pictures somehow and edit my own posts (some are sooo bad the next day!). But the forum is really very nice as it is.  The content means more than the bells and whistles.  And this forum is usually interesting and useful.

Most other forums Ive seen that have spell checkers are awkward --- the post goes off somewhere to be checked and it takes too much time -- particularly on a dial up.  I dont think spelling errors are much of a distraction, I see no strong need to add that feature.

Thanks for all you do with this, Jeff, I hope you know that you have many delighted CLC fans who really enjoy all the forums.

John Serio CLC#22631

First let me say thank you to the creators and moderators of this Forum. It gives me a chance to learn and to share my knowledge with others.
I have been using the default settings as Im not a computer whiz by ANY stretch of the imagination. It would be nice to have a few bells and whistles like the Modified Forum which I briefly looked at just now. But I accept this format as it is and would welcome any positive changes. As long as the "Gloom and Doom" threads stay to a minimum it will be enjoyable.
As a brand new member, this is the only venue in which I paid to become a member as I feel the fees go to a good cause of promoting the hobby of by-gone era Cadillacs.

If you want a good spell check program, Google "spell checker" and install "IE Spell Check". It requires 2.44 megs to run and you can use it to edit and add words to its dictionary.
Thanks, John Serio
59 Sedan deVille
70 deVille Convertible

Don Boshara #594

Went to the Modified Chapter Forum and the first things I saw were "log on" &  "register." Thats where I lost interest!

David #19063

Hello Jeff,

I appreciate your work on this forum greatly!

I use the expanded mode for Subjects and flat mode for posts.

What this forum needs to be is fast and simple without all the useless cute stuff.  

(Hmm...we kind of like our forum to be like our affection for classic Cadillacs, useful practical, user friendly...not like the new forums (cars) with all the whizbang unnecessary stuff, emoticons, pretty borders, all the extra stuff that can go wrong and slow them down.)

I really liked the previous forum we had for the following benefits:

1.  E-mail notification for a post replying to a post one made and/or subject one started.

2.  It loaded much faster than this one.  (This forum take a long time to load.  The Modified Forum loads very fast.)

3.  All Subjects were on one page, eg. this has WAY too many pages and almost no one wastes their time going through old pages.  

4.  You could post pictures.

5.  Very simple formart, eg. no boxes, borders, avatars, stupid emoticons (IMHO), and all that kind of baggage that eats up bandwith and slows down loading.

6.  New posts did not kick subjects to the top.  (Ok, I could go either way on this...if there were LOTs of subjects per page.)

I am sure I will think of more later...LOL!

David

John Wagner

Ive been lurking around this forum for a few months, and now that Ive found the 55 Cadillac I was looking for Im going to join the club.  But since you asked for comments on forum software Ill point you to one of my all-time favorite sites: http://www.chevytalk.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.chevytalk.com/

Ive gotten tons of invaluable info from the Chevytalk forum to help me with my 57 Chevy.  But I also think it has the best forum software around.  Check it out.