News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Steering on 1947 Caddy 60S

Started by John Coleman, November 28, 2005, 01:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Coleman

Just acquired 1947 Model 60S Caddilac and steering seems very tough. No shimmies or shakes at 60 mph but steers like a Sherman tank. Any ideas? Thanks. John Coleman

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi John- Congatulations on your 47-60s. They are beautiful cars and fun to drive. Not knowing what you drove before getting the 47, it might be like comparing apples to oranges. If you are use to power steering and radials, yes, the 47 will handle different with much harder turning force needed by the driver but not like your comparison to a tank. There are several areas I would check on your 47. The original size tires were 700x15 bias ply tire. The bias ply tires are more difficult to turn especially at the slower speeds.Has someone put a different size tire on the car? Even though you car doesn`t shimmy or shake at the higher speeds, I would check your front end alignment. The right amount of caster, camber and toe-in makes any car steer easier. I got rid of my bias ply tires and put 700x15 radials on both my 41 and 47 and will never go back to bias tires.The steering is so much more responsive and easier to turn at the slow speeds. Drive a 40s Cad with bias ply and then one with radials and you will be sold on radials for your 47.

Art#22010

John, I can only speak to the radial issue. I own a 49 series62.
This car has fender shirts as your 47 also does. I anquished during my resto. weather to go original or radial. I chose the original and am glad I did. A member of our region owns a 47 convertable and has difficulty as he chose radials. The radial will handle better for sure. However, check you clearence between outer edge of tire and fender shirt edge, not much room even with bias. Depending on manufacturer of your chosen radial you will probably have less than an 1/8 of an inch. When tire swells in heat maybe as little as a 1/16th. 47-49 there was not much clearence.  Look in the directory and call some of the fellas with 47s. Go with a manufacturer of one that has no problem. I know this fello has had problems and told me at our summer meet that hes going to put a set of bias on it.  Art

Bill Ingler CLC 7799

Hi Art- Fender shirt clearence on the new Diamond Back Yokohama 700x15 radial is no problem on the 47. In fact I have more clearence with this tire than I had with my old set of 700x15 bias. Now the 235/75/R15 radial with a wider profile may not have much clearence.I never considered using radials on my 47 because of the clearence issue until I saw the profile of the Yokohama. I have no personal knowledge of any 47 owners using the 234/75/R15 radials on the 47 but I do know three 47 and one 46 owner who are using the 700x15 Yokohama with no problem with clearence.Clearence on my car is 1 inch in front,1/2 in rear with 1/2 inch cap to skirt.

Art#22010

Bill, good to hear that. I checked mine and I could bearly get my pinky finger up there. In 47, I think they used Uniroyal, or Firestone delux Champion. I think for me, The Delux Champion had the wider WW , as appropiate, where the radials offered were not as wide and hence I chose that. Now when I have her out
it is such fun and a pleasure to drive that I hardly think of this issue anymore.  Art