News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Short in entry lighting 1979 CDV

Started by Barry Wheeler #2189, November 29, 2005, 01:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Wheeler #2189

Does anyone have any thoughts as to pointing to a short that leaves the lights on all the time for the courtesy lamps on the interior sail panels and door panels?
The kid I purchased the car from had started clipping wire ends that led to the radio, which is gone. The always on bezel on the head lamp switch is off, and the door jamb switches appear never to have been messed with. Also checked the dome lamps as well.

wm link

Barry, Does the car have illuminated entry? I suppose I would start there if it has it. There is a Timer box that could be an easy fix...otherwise it might be in either front door button switch. The jamb switches and wiring could be at issue. You might have to unplug each jamb switch to isolate the problem.

JIM CLC # 15000

11-29-05
Berry, I think what you have is a cross-Short. The power is getting to the interior light circuit. Look for worn insultion where the wire bundle passes through the door(s). Most likely the drivers side door. Had a friend who had a Chevy SW that had a semilar problem. Turns out to be a wire bundle under the cargo-space carpet had cross-shortd. HTH
Good Luck, Jim

Barry Wheeler #2189

Guys, thanks for the tips. I will get the car home from the shop tomorrow, and check this out. I cant remember whether or not the car has illuminated entry. It may, as its pretty well loaded.