News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

A Rolls to Match Your Lipstick

Started by Porter 21919, December 01, 2005, 09:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porter 21919

A Rolls to Match Your Lipstick

By GINA CHON
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
December 1, 2005; Page D1

People who spend more than $100,000 on a car can be picky. That is why Rolls-Royce has 45,000 different shades of paint that customers can use to get the right color.

As the market for ultraluxury cars grows more competitive, auto makers are taking the customization arms race to a new level. They will fly in customers to watch their car being built; paint a car to match a customers lipstick, or outfit a car with anything from a sink to a karaoke machine.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113340548948611002-JkY9Nq3hSFugzNRpnme_089Fm9I_20051207.html?mod=mktw TARGET=_blank>http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113340548948611002-JkY9Nq3hSFugzNRpnme_089Fm9I_20051207.html?mod=m

JIM CLC # 15000

12-01-05
Porter, That is a good story about the "lip-stick" colored car.
I think the best IVED heard is about the man who had his Corvette painted the shade of red as his GFs favoret nail polish color. (took about 40 cases of nail polish to do the job).
Have you heard of the man who was reading about the virtures of the RR, And was telling his wife that it would be an excellant purchase, as it was wood trimed with wood from a single-walnut- tree of at least 100 years-old. but she wasnt having any it. after finely telling her of all the reasons to buy, She told him, OK, I give-up, Tell them to "plant" the tree!
Good Luck, Jim

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Enough of these eccentrics with more money than brains! Id be happy to see a few more color choices on the Cadillac palette of colors, and some of them unique to Cadillac only within the GM line-up. Remember the Cadillac ads from the late 60s and early 70s, that mentioned something to the effect, "...with nine models to choose from, and twenty-one exterior colors, and umpteen different interior trim choices, chances are you may never see another Cadillac just like yours..."?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

It is no wonder I dont buy a Roller, I dont wear Lipstick.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

In the 1950s, in 56, there were some 86 interior combinations of color and fabric, and 23 basic exterior colors with 500 combinations of two tone that were standard on the series 62.  100 were selected byy fashion experts as available codes but any combination was OK athough some (combinations) would result in color schemes of poor taste and should be avoided."  *1956 Specifications Manual

Cost killed that one.  And peoples tastes change. etc. etc. etc.   :)

denise 20352

Its all about service.  A car is a car, everyone makes them, but few carmakers offer good service.  All they want is your money, and they aint gettin mine.

-denise

Richard Pope

Touring Graceland (Elviss home) many years ago (they have many of his cars in a musuem)the tour guide was giving details about his 58 Cadillac conv. Turns out Elvis was eating purple grapes as he was going thorugh the showroom and didnt really like any of the colors they had on hand. Supposely, he walked up to a triple white conv., slapped the grapes down on the trunk (crushing the grapes) and said (para-phrasing now) I take one in that color.

Sure enough, it is a deep purple metallic with white interior and top. I liked it...my wife though it loked like a pimp car (it kind of did)

Richard Pope

Cant view the link (im at work). If it is a 59 it is not the same car I saw. In fact, I dont think he ever owned a 59...

Porter 21919

Richard,

It was a 56 Eldo, Elvis was the ultimate Cadillac customizer.

Porter

JIM CLC # 15000

12-02-05
Porter, Elvis almost did not make it big. In 1955 or early 1956, I attended a "Grand ole Opery" stage show in Orlando, FL.
The main show was by the G O O entertainers and I cant remember who introduced Elvis, But I do remember him saying that it was the first time for Elvis to be on stage. After Elvis did his "shakeing and other gyrations, he was BOOED by most everyone there. (He did a good job of singing).Only later did he make a following for himself.
Good Luck, I enjoyed the "Web-Site", Jim

Tore Robert Klerud, CLC #20146

This goes to show the auto industry has gone downhill over the last few decades. In the 50ies I guess you would have heard stories about people so much in love with their new luxury car that they went out of their way finding a lipstick color that matched the car, not vice versa. If they would only build cars that communicated with our feelings again, not only our sense of practicality and good reason...

Tore, Norway
76 ELC, 78 SEV

Porter 21919

Tore,

Cars used to be built by hand, with rich fabrics,vinyls and leathers, and very little plastic,lots of sumptous chrome too, now they stamp them out like computers with robotics and "just in time" delivery of the components.

Most consumers today probably prefer the increased reliabilty, superior paint coatings and all the bells and electronic whistles. I cant argue with the restraint systems and padded dashboards but they can keep their SRS airbags.

We prefer a good stout cast iron engine and a full perimeter frame. Style and chrome too, a car that can be restored by hand with simple parts and labor.

In that respect we are fortunate and there is still a lot of Detroit Iron out there to be had, even at reasonable prices, the average person really doesnt want the responsibilty of owning an old car, Im amazed to see what pops up for sale all the time.

You dont need big $$$ or have to own a rare V16, Brougham or an Eldorado to enjoy a nice vintage Cadillac, to quote John Washburn " Its just a darn hobby".

Porter

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Well said, Porter. The Navigation systems and many of the computers are other innovations they can keep, for the most part. It seems as though there is more and more "planned obsolescence" in new products. Tasteful use of chrome and sculpted styling are what make so many classics timeless--not that they have improved technologies or ease of maintenance. There is a special, appealing, feeling that comes over you when you get behind the wheel of our older Cadillacs.