News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Shipping your car

Started by Johnny #662, December 02, 2005, 12:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny #662

I am moving to Florida from the Northeast, and had to ship down my 85 Eldorado.  I did a search on the internet and discovered the horror stories connected with shipping a car.  The basic problem is that many of the companies are "brokers" and dont do the actual shipping themselves. Its up to individual carriers to make arrangements to pick up and deliver your car.  This situation can lead to a myriad of problems, some quite devasting, such as taking many weeks or months to have your car delivered.  Upon finding out of the potential problems, I contacted FedEx, which bought Passport Transport.  Having been involved with the hobby for many years, I always noticed that Passport was always there at the major events, Hershey, Auctions etc.  They are a few bucks more then most of the other carriers, but you couldnt ask for better service.  Within 5 days of contacting them, my car was picked up and delivered to Florida from New Jersey the very next day! I cant praise them enough!  They OWN their own fleet of trucks which are enclosed.  They do open carrier also, but its brokered out.  They require no deposit, you pay COD.  They only carry 6 cars in their trailer, 3 on the botton and three on top.  Your car is lifted by a platform, rather then driven up on ramps.  They put plastic around the steering wheel, and seats.  Theres plastic under the top cars to prevent fluids from dropping on the  bottom cars.  The driver called me 3 times to let me know of his location, and let me know he would be a little late due to traffic.  He was very courtesy and professional, and I felt very comfortable turning my car over to him.

This is not to say that other carriers arent as good and reliable.  I would strongly recommend researching any carrier you decide to use.  You can use this website to check out some carriers:

http://www.howwerate.com/index.php TARGET=_blank>http://www.howwerate.com/index.php

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Johnny,

Congratulations on a successful transplant.

Nice to have comfort in the fact that everything is being taken care of.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

John Olenchalk CLC #17773

Waiting to hear the ultimate resolution by the broker for a friends auto that showed up in California after by shipped from Michigan, with 755 extra miles on the odometer, a salsa cd in the player, some lego blocks in the back seat, and half eaten package of fritos shoved into the ash tray...the only reason they caught it (besides the mess) was the grandfather (shipper)who when he signed off with the truck driver who picked up the car, had the presence of mind to record the odometer reading...NO MATTER WHO YOU USE TO TRANSPORT, MAKE SURE THE ORIGINATING DRIVER SIGNS OFF ON THE ODOMETER READING...I will provide the name of the shipper in a later post subsequent to the resolution, but they were neither the highest or lowest priced bidder for the job...

Johnny #662

Quote from: John Olenchalk CLC #17773Waiting to hear the ultimate resolution by the broker for a friends auto that showed up in California after by shipped from Michigan, with 755 extra miles on the odometer, a salsa cd in the player, some lego blocks in the back seat, and half eaten package of fritos shoved into the ash tray...

Quite a few times a trucker will only do a leg of the complete trip and leave the car in a "terminal" to wait to be picked up by another trucker.  What happens to the car while sitting in the terminal, usually with the keys in the ignition, is anyones guess!

Jeff Maltby 4194

OConners auto transport out of OK, just picked up my 49 sedan heading to florida.

Great guy and an X navy seal Nam vet.

I highly recommend him with his open carrier.

Tom OConnor
Office 918-825-4502
Cell 918-373-4503

Ken Zarker

Thanks for the tip. Im moving from Austin, Texas to Olympia, Washington and this is very helpful. Best wishes.