News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

New deVille

Started by Brad Hemingson, December 05, 2005, 11:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad Hemingson

In my recent travels I had the occasion to rent a brand new Cadillac and I guess we drove it about 300 miles both freeway and city over 2 days. Three negatives stood out. One, it was very noisy, lots of wind and road noise. Two, a very dull interior, gray headliner, gray plastic everywhere, no chrome or wood to speak of. It reminded me alot of the POS Impala I rented last spring in LA. Three, with a big guy in the front (61") the the back seat becomes crowded for the 6 guy in the rear.

I was in SF last weekend and hopped in a cab that was a brand new 300 Chrysler with the hemi. Beautiful interior, tons of room and the cabbie was able to light up the tires with a full load of passengers. Night and day difference in fit and finish from the Caddy. GM is doomed.

Mike #19861

But, you have to remember that the Deville you rented was a rental fleet special. They do not go over and beyond with fancy trim and options. They are almost without exception base models.

The 06 DTS I drove last summer was fitted out well with much improved interior finishings, which would be more to norm of what the buyer would get.

And, it is not the norm for a cab to be fitted with the Hemi. The example you were in was no doubt the same car that would be purchased or leased. At this point, I dont think there is a taxi package on any of the LH cars.

Mike

Brad Hemingson

I cant believe that they would change the basic switches and trim on a rental car. The things I see are the cheap plastic trim, the rocker switches for the power windows that are parts bin specials that are used on a corporate basis.

I often will rent a vehicle on vacation that Im thinking of buying to get a weeks test drive. Cadillac failed completely to impress me and Im a fan. The trim in my 66 Eldorado is nicer and they have had 40 years to improve it.

Mike #19861

Yes, you would be right on that count. Cadillac has typically used switchgear and many of the basic functional items from lesser divisions.

Proper fluidly acting switches and controls that have a quality feel should be a part of any up market car. Absolutely. Its hard to justify paying the premium for such a car when they are the same as those found on a rental quality Impala.

Mike

denise 20352

They have a website, http://www.cadillac.com. TARGET=_blank>www.cadillac.com.  I just went there and looked at the DTS model, and I was surprised to see that the interior trim was almost the same as that Mercury thing that I bought.  Its basically a cheap plastic police car interior with a strip of shiny fake wood stuff around it.

The STS looks a little better inside, but it still says "Cheap copy of European car", and I see that they have photographed the front with the seats all of the way back, and vice versa, to make it look roomy.  The outside says, "Cheap copy of Japanese car".

So what is an American car?  A failed attempt to copy the Europeans and the Japanese, with lousy service.  The "loyal consumer" thing can only go so far, especially now that those of us who have been dissatisfied with our purchases can easily spread the word.  Chrysler may actually have a chance, just because they make an effort to stand on their own and produce something special, but GM and Ford are going down...and good riddance.  Maybe once theyre out of the way, more companies will be able to make reproduction parts for our older cars.

-denise

Porter 21919

2006 Cadillac DTS
The Deville is in the DTS: Ye Olde Detroit luxury barge is recast for 21st century reality
KEVIN A. WILSON
Published Date: 8/22/05
2006 CADILLAC DTS
ON SALE: Fall
BASE PRICE: $41,990
POWERTRAIN: 4.6-liter, 275 hp, 286 lbs-ft V8; fwd, four-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT: 4009 lbs
0 to 60 MPH: 8.0 sec (est.)
FUEL MILEAGE (EPA combined): 22

Last of the Cadillac models to adopt the marque’s edgy, vertical-lamp styling theme, the large front-drive Deville sedan arrives in fall for the start of the 2006 model year with a design facelift, re-engineered platform and a new badge. Cadillac’s best-seller is pioneering a new marketing strategy that includes only one model (dubbed DTS rather than Deville) in four trim levels (luxury I, II and III, plus performance), and a $5,000 slash in the suggested retail price.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102988 TARGET=_blank>http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102988

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Densie, Mike and Brad,

The trouble with cars these days is that the auto makers cannot use material like Chrome Plated Diecast Pot Metal and similar materials to make complex shapes that are required to give the car that "prestige" feel because of the added weight to the car.

And, the plastic interiors meet with the Federally mandated collision and safety regulations.   Steel and Diecast stuff just wont cut it.

Our older cars simply ooze class, because of the interior aroma of Leather, which in modern cars gets killed by the overpowering carcenogenic fumes that plastic gives off as soon as the sun heats it up.

But, if I had to be in a prang, I would want to be in the latest whatever-it-is, plastic and all, as there is nothing worse than being impaled on a chrome steering wheel, or a steel dash, and diecast leaves sharp edges to get cut on.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

David #19063

Brad,

Are you sure you had an 06 DTS for a rental?  Many places still have 05 DeVilles as rentals.

I just had an 06 DTS for 3 days I spent in Pensacola and Mobile.  It had lots of wood inside, HID headlights, heated and cooled seats, fog lights, sat. radio, seat memory, blue-white interior lights, etc.

It was a nice riding car and not harsh over bumps...the way a Cadillac should be.  

The Northstar was plenty powerful for a large roomy 4 door, but it was slower than my 96 Concours...but I am sure that is due to it being 6000 rpm max 275 hp 3.11 transaxle vs. my Concours 6400 rpm max 300 hp 3.71 transaxle.

The seats were comfortable and supportive.

Earlier this year I was in a rental Impala, these two cars do not compare on any level.  The Impala really was uncomfortable to ride in, no thigh support, underpowered, and very noisy inside.

One day I hope to drive someones Hemi 300C/Magnum/Charger.

David

G. L. Brown

I too had an opportunity to rent a fairly well equiped 06 DTS.
I am really a big guy 610 around 300lbs. I found it rather pleasant to drive. I was a bit cramped, The foot weel to mee was too narrow and the seat too close to teh dash. Though I got more comfortable with it teh longer I had it.  I also put about 500 miles one it and was very pleased with it as were my assorted passengers.  I liked the toys, though it took several days to cypher them all out, as teh rental company did not leave me a manual.
I liked it much better than my last new one, a 94 Concours.

I liked it. But I have a son in college, a big mortgae and 11 other cars.

glenn

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Well Glenn,

You know what to do.   Take your Son out of college.

That way, you can probably afford two.   One to drive, and one to strip for spare parts whenever it breaks down.   You know it costs abouit four times the cost of a car just to purchase all the parts individually, then you have to assemble it and paint it.   If you buy them the same colour, then you will save on the painting costs.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

Since you like the way the new DTS goes over bumps, you probably wont like a Chrysler 300C. It has a very stiff suspension and I felt like I was in a well since the beltline is so high and the windows so small. Also, I thought the tortoise-shell trim looked worse than plastic wood.

densie

Despite all of that, I think that they can do better.  The cars of the 70s are mostly plastic inside, and some of them look pretty good.

-denise

denise 20352

I had never seen that interior view, into the floors.  I dont think that I could get both of my feet in there!

After Ive been driving for an hour or so, I need to move my legs around, so that car would be worthless to me.

-d

Dave Smith #17592

Cadillac doesnt make a "Fleet" model.  Most car rental companies buy the standard issue sedans for budget reasons.   So the version you rent is the same one you buy unless you upgrade to a higher trim package.  But nowadays, do they even have a higher trim level?   I think the upgrade packages now are all just content or performance related.  Gone are the days of DElegance upgrades.

I have driven the new Chrysler 300 sedans.  They are whisper quiet inside and roomy.   The most base model does have a pretty plain looking interior though.   The mid level and uplevel trim is much nicer.  And even though it is not a Cadillac, it is nice to see an American car turn heads.

When on Vacation with at least two other people I will always rent a Town car.  They never have Cadillacs in stock and always try to push a Buick on me.   But we always seem to fill that huge Lincoln trunk up completely with luggage!  And Im sure the Buick couldnt have done that.  I almost doubt the Cadillac could have either.   Not to mention on the nine hour drive from Las Vegas to San Francisco it was great to be able to stretch out and be comfortable.    Im sure the Cadillac would have been fine for one or two people.   But three adults traveling by car for over a week carry alot of stuff.   Three suitcases, three garment bags and three carry on size travel bags filled that Lincoln trunk up to the point the power closing feature was groaning to shut it.  

I am optomistic to try the new 2006 DTS.   I wish they kept the DEVILLE name though.   Ill be in Naples, Florida this week, so yet again,  Ill see what cars are available.  

David  

Dave Smith #17592

Yay!!     Alamo had the 2006 Cadillac DTS in stock.   So I rented one for 4 days.   I was very impressed.  I am 63" and almost 200 lbs, and I was comfortable.

I like to keep the steering wheel tilted down which blocked my view of the top of the speedometer, but there was a second digital speed readout below the analog gage that allowed me to see the speed.  And that car wanted to go fast!    It easily crept up to 80-85 on I-75 with ease.  

The climate system was easy to use, but the radio and steering wheel controls will require some study to use.  I was finally able to work the cruise control and enjoy the XM radio.  I think this was the quietest Cadillac Ive ever driven yet.   On the smooth blacktop highway you couldnt even hear the tires on the road.  It was whisper quiet.    I loved the Xenon headlamps.  They were amazingly bright.   The signal mirrors no doubt helped let other drivers know I was a tourist about to make a quick lane change.  

My friends in Naples, Florida were also impressed.   One made a comment that if all the Cadillac emblems were removed, they would have thought that they were riding in a high end Lexus or Mercedes.  

David

David #19063

Yes Dave, I thought the headlights were nice and bright too, plus well aimed.

Did you try the heated/cooled seats or the headed steering wheel?

Dave Smith #17592

I saw the controls on the door for them, but the weather was nice so I didnt use them.   It was about 80 degrees Farenheit in Naples, Florida.    I was so chilled from my Connecticut departure that I even had to turn up the climate control to 74 degrees.   I noticed that the REAR seats were heated too!  That is a nice touch.     I was surprized that the car had front sensors to warn you if you pulled up too close to someone when parking.  

Oh,  one flaw noted.  As I pulled up to a tollbooth, a chime started ringing.  I was alarmed that perhaps it was a "low Fuel" warning.  But apon closer inspection of the dashboard there was a text message that stated that the Left Front tire pressure was low.   I pulled into the next rest area to take a peek.   The tire looked fully inflated to me.   Then I recalled a conversation I had with the Service Manager at my local Chrysler Jeep dealer.  He said that their new cars with that feature were plagued by false alarms due to temperature fluctuations in the tires.  The sensors were too sensative.  I figured that it must have been something like that in this case too.  The tire looked fine, so I hit the reset button and went on my way.  

The only other thing I could see worth mentioning is that the Tilt wheel lever is hard to flip on entry and exit.   I was always groping for it.   All in all, it is still a pretty slick car.   I saw a few STS models on the highway. After driving this DTS, I dont see why they need to sell the STS.    This new DTS really closes the gap.   The Seville STS used to be a unique "sportier" model.  But now the DTS has that same "Edgy" look to it.   The STS now just comes across like a big CTS.  

Sorry, but these damn letter names drive me crazy.   DTS , CTS, STS.  ARG!    I think we should rebel against the letters!    Im going to call them by their proper names.  DTS = DEVILLE, STS = SEVILLE and CTS..... LASALLE!!!    :)

David #19063

Dave,

For the last couple weeks I have had a 06 Ford Expedition for a rental (local Cadillac dealer folded so local Enterprise does not carry Cadillacs anymore...no dealer repair replacements needed).

When the temperature drops below 25 F, the stupid tire monitor light comes on too.  I was at the Ford dealer with it getting new wiper blades (free charged to Enterprise) and the service manager told me to ignore the monitor, that in cold weather they do this.  Basically, the light tells you to look at the tires to see if any are low/flat.  He laughed, "...think of it as another idiot light".

The tire pressure monitors have never worked right on any of my parents Continentals either.

David

Mike #19861

Im glad you are impressed with the new DTS. I certainly was with my exposure to it.

The DTS is a very differant car from the STS. The STS is essentially a RWD car now, with AWD optional. It to is a very impressive performer, particularly in its V-8 AWD iteration.

This car is essentially a larger and more powerful CTS. It has finer finishings, and has the 320 HP Northstar as optional, the 3.6 V-6 is standard. The STS-v comes with a spectacular 463 HP Supercharged Northstar. It is a true sports sedan.

The DTS I feel is true to its heritage, a sensational long distance cruiser without peer. I still relies on the same G-body FWD chassis it has been built on since 2000. But, it has been vastly improved with better trimings and attention to details. It does feel like a much more substantial car than the 2005 model,

Mike

David #19063

Yes, it is a very nice riding car with lots of rear seat leg room and F&B shoulder/hip room.

A true Cadillac...eg. a tall driver can have the drivers seat set comfortable and when a tall adult gets in behind him, he does not have to move his seat up to give the rear passenger legroom.

Has a soft plush ride that is nice for long trips or over bumpy city streets.

Id like to drive the higher performance version and see how it is.

David