News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

78 Eldorado continuous door locking problem

Started by Matt CLC #18621, December 12, 2005, 11:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt CLC #18621

After parking 78 Eldorado in garage I used the drivers power lock button to lock doors last night.  This mooring when I was going to work, I heard slight popping noise, and when I examined the car, I realized that the driver’s door and passenger door were each, independently, continuing to lock the door with lock in the down position.  I used the door key and unlocked each door independently and it stopped.  What could be causing this continuous locking problem, a faulty driver’s door lock switch?

Also, I would like to disengage the automatic door locks as they lock when I open the door with the car running, how does one disengage this feature?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt CLC #18621

Quote from: Matt CLC #18621After parking 78 Eldorado in garage I used the drivers power lock button to lock doors last night.  This mooring when I was going to work, I heard slight popping noise, and when I examined the car, I realized that the driver’s door and passenger door were each, independently, continuing to lock the door with lock in the down position.  I used the door key and unlocked each door independently and it stopped.  What could be causing this continuous locking problem, a faulty driver’s door lock switch?

Also, I would like to disengage the automatic door locks as they lock when I open the door with the car running, how does one disengage this feature?

Thanks,

Matt

Dave Smith #17592

Hi Matt,

Look under the dash at the steering column shift interlock.  There should be a two wire hookup to it for the shift interlock.   Be careful as not to disconnect the backup lamps!

Why they cycle like that is hard to say.  It may be a bad autolock relay, a bad regular power lock relay or even a sticky lock switch.  

David

Mike #19861

It could be juts a matter of adjusting that switch. They are easily adjustable.

Also, check the linkage for any slop. They tend to get that way over the years, and that could lead to your problem. There is a bushing on the frame where the shift linkage crossover fits into. The will wear, or even disappear. Often replacement of this will solve the problem.

Mike

Matt CLC#18621

Thanks for help, appears to be sticky drivers door lock switch, and doesn’t happen when I use passenger switch or lock manually with key.  ITS FREEZING in Northern NJ!

Thanks,

Matt