News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Master cylinder-ELDO

Started by viator Trudeau, December 17, 2005, 01:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viator Trudeau

Hello all, has anyone had this happen to them? I sent my master cyl. to a rebuilder who advertised in Hemmings, to be resleeved and new cups and seals installed. Its been on for 9 mos. and during that time the rear resv. fluid goes down and the front level goes up. I have noticed this several times but last week the brake light came on and upon inspection saw the rear resv. was empty. If I spoon the front fluid to the rear there is enough fluid to raise both levels to proper level. It indicates that I do not have a leak else where but in the master cyl. between chambers in the bore area, babey between the cast iron and the sleeve. The cover seal is new and I dont think the fluid is going over the top of the chambers. The brake shop said to sent it back for fixing. Has any one had or heard of this happening after a resleeving?  Thanks  Viator Trudeau

JIM CLC # 15000

12-16-05
Viator, I dont have a solution, But I do admire your problem! LOL. I have never had any MC or WC re-sleeved, BUT one would have to think that the sleeve is not tight enough and that the fluid is somehow gettening past the sleeve or maybe the rear resv. doesnt have the bleed-hole where the fromt one does.(all of this is a WAS, but hope it helps)
Good Luck, Merry Christmas, Jim

Mike #19861

Its not unique to resleaved master cylinders. Its quite rare, but I have seen it in other master cylinders. Fluid bypasses from one cylinder to another and is accumulated in the reservoir. This is the result of a by-passing cup.

Mike