News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1960 Caddy Strip-down

Started by Barry Ashdown, December 28, 2005, 04:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Ashdown

Hi Guys

I am part way through the almost total strip down of my 1960 Sedan DeVille 6329 6 window, and have recently removed one of the rear window frames complete with glass, this was no great problem.  However, I am now in the process of trying to remove one of the front windows (complete frame with glass), as the bottom channel member is also badly rusted.

Can anyone help me with the actual sequence for removal of this as it appears totally different to the rear one, probably because of the quarter light window at the front end.Does the quarter light have to be removed first and if so how? The bottom will need replacing probably on both front windows.  How are these seperated from the glass and are GM replacement parts available, alternatively patten parts as we call them.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

Best wishes for the new year.

Barry (Baza) Memb No. 22329

Diego Montefusco #21886

Quote from: Barry  AshdownCan anyone help me with the actual sequence for removal of this as it appears totally different to the rear one, probably because of the quarter light window at the front end.Does the quarter light have to be removed first and if so how?

when I removed them from my coupe, I left the vent windows in place. I followed the Shop Manual instructions and didnt have any problem. I dont have it with me but I remember I had to lower the windows, then remove two screws and simply lift it out.

You can see some pics on my restoration pages (http://tinyurl.com/afy3o), the ones you want are in page 3.

You can see the inner door panel with the window down, and the two screws are accessible from the rectangual opening at the bottom, at the end of the horizontal metal-bare bar.

I hope this helps,

diego

Barry Ashdown

Hi Diego

Just got back home after the New Year celebrations to find your reply to my posting.  Many thanks, your comments together with your strip-down pictures will help me no-end.

Trying to fit in stripping my car down at the same time as going to work and doing the usual jobs around the home (repairs/renewals, etc) it all seems to go on for ever.  Cant believe Ive already spent over a year getting to where I am now, and Ive still got tons morre work to do before I even contemplate rebuilding.  Fortunately it would appear the engine and gearbox are all OK so its bare-metal strip back and re-chroming and weather sealing to do.

Thanks for the help once again
Regards and a Happy new Year

Barry