News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

More Questions 1956 Cadillac 6219

Started by Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963, December 29, 2005, 09:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

First thank you for all of your help.  I have fixed, with my friends diligent help in electronics, the drivers rear lamps.  They now work but the wiring is old and poor.
Unfortunately Rhode Island Wiring does not list a 1956 Harness for Cadillac.  ACK.

I need to replace the headlight switch.  It seems to be the problem where the head lights will turn off suddenly, the running lights wont fire and the fog lamps go on and off.  By wiggling the switch gently, you get the effect.  I read in the Serviceman that there was a special tool needed to remove the switch.  The service manual does not describe how to remove and replace the switch!  

First where can I get a good switch or have this one rebuilt?
How do you replace it?
And is there anything else about the electrics I need to know that the books may not mention?

The heater is important but the lights are critical at this point in time. :)

Thanks!

JIM CLC # 15000

12-29-05
Randall, Yes, removing the head-light switch can be tricky but can be done if you do not mind a sore back. 1. disconnect battery GND cable. 2. feel the switch as you pull the switch to the on position, (You may have to do this several times to locate the locking slide on one side of the switch). 3. Once you have located the locking-slide you should be able to raise the slide up from the side of the switch and pull the knob/rod assembly out. 4. Once out you will see a chrome nut with two slots in it. 5. You may have to make a tool or figure-out some other tool that will suffice to remove the nut. (try to remove it by hand first while moving the switch assembly to take pressure off of the nut). 6. IF you remove the wires from the switch, First make yourself a diagram and using masking tape, mark the wires. 7. Talking the switch apart and cleaning and re-lubing it with electrical grease, reassumble and re-install should be a snap!
Good Luck, Jim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Randall,

Dont forget that in order to remove the switch, you first have to remove the actual push-pull knob which is attached to the shaft.

This is accomplished by reaching under the dash with one hand, feeling for the back of the switch, where you will find a spring-loaded button.   Push that in, whilst pulling out the knob, and the whole shaft and knob will come out.
As Jim mentioned, disconnect the battery first as when you remove the shaft, it leaves the headlights switch in the ON position, and we dont want to drain the freshly-charged battery now, do we.

A wide screw driver can then be used to unscrew the bezel that holds the switch to the dash.   The special tool is just another method of spending money.

By the way, if the dash lights dont dim when you turn the knob, then you will find that the circular rheostat that controls that is broken.

You may find that the switch in your other car is good, and may be a good replacement, except that it mightnt have the fog light switch mechanism attached.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

Roger Zimmermann #21015

For the wiring: try http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/
They are slow, but I was very satisfied with the wiring for my 56 Biarritz.
Roger

Thanks, guys.  That was just the information I needed!!

Doug Houston

There is a guy on eBay, under Cadillac parts, parting oput a 56 sedan. He has a light switch among his stuff. The auction is closing within a day, I believe.

Great!! Thanks Doug.  I will have to check it out!