News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

6volt to 12volt converter (cd player only)

Started by larry pitts #16625, January 02, 2006, 12:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry pitts #16625

Where do I purchase a conveerter afor a 6 volt to a 12 volt for my 1950 Cadilac?  I want to add a C.D. and radio player only.  I dont want to change anything else.

Thank you,  
Larry Pitts

Doug Houston

The thing is known as a Static Inverter. Besides going to 12 Volt output, youll need to be sure that it will work from a 6 Volt positive ground if used on a Cadillac before 1946. They are available for either polarity.

You might try one of the speed shops for an item like it.

Russ Hobden

Fifth Avenue Internet Garage has a regulated 12 volt negative ground power inverter, 5 amp output, for $99.00.  Look up http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com. TARGET=_blank>www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com.  Russ #1235

Rhino 21150

My dad has one of those converters in his 40 La S. It came from J. C. Whitney. Downside: All the radio stations are held in memory, which requires the battery to be connected all the time. With the inverter the stations will be forgotten every time you turn off the key. If you get a pro to install it he can hook up a small gel cell battery to hold up the memory.

baxter culver #17184

Larry,
Contact Antique Automobile Radio at  http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com TARGET=_blank>www.antiqueautomobileradio.com
They have inverters that change positive ground 6 volt power to negative ground 12 volt.  You will need to know your wattage needs.

rob

Another solution, especially if you want powerful sound/bass and no car electrical worries, is to to use a separate 12V Optima battery and connect your car cd player directly to it.

This is what i use in my 47 Caddy. I bought the 90AH Yellow-top and it sits at the rear on the floor. My CD player has a max of 10 Amps at 12 V, and I can crank-up the volume without worries. The battery holds up for quite a long time, maybe 10 hours or more before having to recharge it using a standard 10amps 12 charger.
I have mid-size LINN speakers that i removed from the living room and placed under the Caddy rear window ..sounds really good now !
Rob