News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Rochester tripower linkage

Started by Matthias, January 05, 2006, 12:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias

I am restoring a 1959 4 window with the 2bbl rochester tripower carburetors. Unfortunately only the center carb was connected, and the linkage to connect the front and rear carbs is missing. Since I find it difficult to get this parts can anybody help me with some detailed pictures or drawings with as much technical information as possible? If Im not successful finding those parts I will have to make them by myself.
Thanks for any support

JIM CLC # 15000

01-04-06
Matthias, Try thecarburatorshop on line.
They may be able to help.
Good Luck, Jim

Steve

I had a 59 Eldo several years ago, Its my recallection the end two carbs run off of  vaccum lines from the center carb, when the center carb opens up, a switch on the carb opens which pulls vaccum on the end two carbs and the gas poors in. The vaccum switch is part no. 701 3328 Group 12.1131. Good luck.

Bob Schuman,CLC#254

My recollections of the triple carburetor system(TriPower was a name used by Pontiac for their 3x2 setup)are similar to what Steve wrote. The two end carburetors had no idle systems, their throttles were connected by a link on th passenger side, and a vacuum diaphragm on one of the end carbs pulled both open when the vacuum switch mounted on the center carb admitted vacuum to the diaphragm. This happened at about 75percent of full open on the center carb. The end carbs were either closed or full open, nothing in between. When they opened, boy was that a pretty sound.
There were various aftermarket mechanical linkage setups offered to replace the vacuum system, and Pontiac later offered them from the factory, but I dont think Cadillac or Olds ever offered the mechanical linkage. The vacuum system worked well on automatic transmission cars, not so well on manual shift. When the driver lifted his or her foot off of the throttle, the vacuum system took a noticeable time, maybe half a second before closing the end carburetors. For the aggressively driven four speed Pontiac GTOs that closing lag was bad news.

Quentin Hall (Australia)

Gday fellas,  
            My 59 Biarritz had the front and rear carbs disconnected when I first got it. The best advise I can give you is to get a 59 Cadillac shop manual. The best photo you can get is on page 322. Showing left and right sides. The linkage for the from the front to the rear is easily made from 6.5 mm rod (1/4)The front carb is vacuum actuated and the linkage rod actuates the rear to the rear.
            One other point to note is that despite having the carbs rebuilt for some reason the floats werent replaced. They didnt come with the kit. The rear float gave me no end of drama. They get porous and sink . It took me several goes with a cup of boiling water and a soldering iron to find all the pinholes. I have since had no problems in a year, but I have since bought a new replacement float . That despite being for a Rochester 2GC I noticed needs slight (filing down the bracket arm ) to fit.
           Good Luck. Regards Quentin.      

Matthias CLC#22137

thanks guys, your replies have been very helpful. Seems the linkage bussines is rather easy. Have to get the engine back together and all the vacuum stuff working. Got the manual now, its really good.