News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1948 Series 75 Engine Swap

Started by Kevin M. Gillette, January 06, 2006, 06:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M. Gillette

Several years ago I acquired a 1948 Series 75 Imperial Limo. As I have scrounged for a number of replacement parts (and am still looking for a few more) I have wrestled with the issue of a complete restoration or not. The car does not have an original flathead. Instead, it has an older, but, later model overhead cam V-8. At this time, I am not sure of the year. However, I also acquired a 1977 Sedan deVille(body and frame completely shot) with a 425 4-bbl. The car originally came with a towing package. I knew the previous, and only owner of the 1977.

Does anyone have any advice on putting a 425 with the factory automatic in this car? The body will be completely restored, but, mechanically, I want something that will be roadworthy.

This car was originally owned by the AC Delco Corp in Flint, Michigan for the first three years. I have all of the paperwork showing the transfer of owners. The previous owner found it in a
warehouse at the former Kamms Brewery in Mishawaka, Indiana. That is where, I can only assume, someone painted it red (Kamms Beer Red). I intend to repaint it to the original black. I am the fourth owner.

I guess another question would be this: Is it possible that AC Delco had a newer motor in it when the car was new? I have struck out trying to track down more history of this car. I would appreciate any advice or direction with the questions
I have raised.

Thank you!

Doug Houston

I often wonder, as now, just how you define roadworthy. The original engine in the car is a most roadworthy engine. One of the things that made Cadillac an envied car was the trouble-free character of the engine, along with its smooth operation. The cars with the 1936-48 engine were some of the finest vehicles that traveled the highways in their day, and yet today. They are excellent examples of roadworthy. Many of our members have those cars and enjoy trips in them. I, for one enjoy my vintage Cadillacs, and theyre the way that Cadillac built them.

When I wanted to drive a good car in everyday traffic and highways, I have had a recent year Cadillac. I felt that better judgement dictated that I use a product that was engineered and built to a sound design than to piece a vehicle together from random parts.

Are you going to drive a lot of trips across the country? Do you want to race with it? Are you planning to tow heavy loads (trailers) with the car? Are you one who likes to be seen in a vintage car, but doesnt like them? If yes is the answer to any of these, Id suggest a vehicle that is built for your purpose.

Perhaps your car has had some sort of replacement engine in it, or you would like to avoid the expense of putting the car in original condition. As the car passes through the hands of successive owners, it will probably be altered more and more. Cars that have unfortunate fates like this are known as modified, or saying it like it is: hotrods.

My feelings are to strive to return the car to its original configuration. The factory was smarter than any of us, and their products proved it.

Kevin M. Gillette

Oh, I dont disagree with you at all. My point was that as long as the origianl engine wasnt in it anyway, would this work? Thanks for your reply.

Warren Rauch

If you think it may have had the engine change while GM owned the car,try to prove it. First step is the engine from the period GM owned it ? Find the serial number and engine unit number. It may also tell if the engine came out of another car. Not something GM would likely do. Warren

Kevin M. Gillette

Thanks for your reply. I doubt that happened either.

Gary Fisher

Good luck with your project. I have purchased a 1949 7519x which it will be shipped from PA to CA soon. It needs a total restoration. I would love to have a driver built out of this car since I would never be able to restore it properly. Keep us posted on the engine swap. I have run across several 75 limos on the net that have had engine swaps.  I do not remember what the engines were, but there not two of them done the same.

Kevin M. Gillette

Gary,

Thanks for your reply. I too have seen many limo engine swaps
with modern transmissions. It doesnt seem to affect the asking/selling prices of those I have seen. It is my intention to have the limo original in appearance, but with newer mechanicals. I intend to put a/c and a modern stereo/cd player
in as well. The original version had power windows and power divider as well.

It will probably not be too far underway until later this summer.

Kevin