News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Dashboard removal

Started by Joe Bento #20081, January 07, 2006, 03:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bento #20081

Howdy all!

Been a while since I have been around.  Its has been slow going but the engine rebuild is finally complete.  But before I put it back in the car (1940 series 72), I have A LOT of tidying up to do, starting with replacing the wiring harness.

So here is my first question (there will be a couple of others in different posts):

How does one remove the dashboard?  Step by step instructions (with pictures) would be best, but all advice is welcome.

I started to remove the wiring with the dashboard in place and felt this was not going to work, so I am assuming the removal is the best course of action.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

Joe

Doug. Houston

Absolutely not. You will need to lay on the seat with a pillow on the floorboard, and a light up under the dash to see what youre into. Youll be upside down, but can actually be comfortable. Youll need a set of nut drivers for the terminal nuts on the instrument cluster. You can remove the light switch and work on it from your upside down position. Best to have the radio out, as itll be in the way.

Ive done this on all of my cars. In fact, on the ones where I refinished the dash panel, the panel was back in the car when I installed the harness. These early forties cars are easy to work on, because there is a lot of space under the dash, and things are easy to reach.

joe bento #20081

Thanks for the suggestions Doug.

I really would rather not remove the dash (just asking for something else to go wrong).  I tried lying on the floor board (which is a mess by the way), but I really couldnt see far enough under the dash.

I will have to try this position.  In the mean time, the more advice, the happier you make me :)

Joe

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

The pillow Doug refers to prevents "hogshair burn," a rash which you can get from the stiff bristles of the carpet on the back of your neck if unprotected. A syndrome prevalent only among second and third owners of late thirties/early forties Cadillac owners. I believe this was covered in the American Journal of Medicine, Volume CXXXIX, circa 1958.

JIM CLC # 15000

01-08-05
Joe, When I have been under the dash of my 38, I put down a piece of card-board or plastic. Works good, too.
If you are planing to install  new wireing, it is a good idea to tag the old wire-ends(masking-tape) as to where they were removed from, et, Left terminal of gas gage, etc. You can draw a diagram of the connections on the light switch.
Good Luck, congratlation on the engine rebuilt, Jim

steve hales #clc 16187

Joe, I removed my dash in my 1939  LaSalle 5019 , I refinished the wood grain and replaced it, then I rewired it,. I took the front seat out plenty of room. Get you an assembly manual for the 39-40 LaSalle. Not that bad.Good luck.

steve hales

joe bento #20081

Howdy all!

Thanks for all your help.  I got the wiring harness out without removing the dash, and in a day or 2  all my muscles should remember how they are supposed to work (I should have started this project when I was 18).

My up close and personal with the dash has got me thinking about haveing it restored.  Anyone have any suggestions and experience with who to use and cost for restoring one of these old di-noc dashboards?  Gauges too?

Thanks again!

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

Joe, I have a friend who did mine that was very well done. The cost is about $700 plus shipping. He is in Lafayette, IN, and very interested in doing a perfect job. His name is Joe Goss, and is in the Lafayette phone book.