News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

antenna connector plug

Started by denise 20352, January 09, 2006, 10:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

When I unplugged my radio antenna, the plug sort of came apart.  The outer part is still crimped onto the cable, but the inner part is hanging out by a thin wire.  Is there some way to splice a repair into the cable, or put on a new plug?  Its a power antenna, and I would have to pull the fenderwelt to get to it, so I need to try to repair it while it is in the car.

thanks

-d

Michael Stamps 19507

As much as it hurts to say this ... go down to Radio Shack and they  should have something to help you out.

Stampie

Doug Houston

Ill have to agree on that. That connector is known as the "Motorola" style antenna plug. You may have trouble soldering the shield braid from the lead-in to the shell of the connector, because the shield braid is often aluminum strands.

I hope for your sake that the clerk in the RS store will know what 1) an antenna is and 2) what a connector is. My experience with Radio Shack clerks is that they may not know either.

Removing the inner conductor from the old plug pin should be done carefully. Its a fine copper plated steel wire. Try not to cut or break the inner conductor, or you will be taking the cable off from in the fender!

denise 20352

> I hope for your sake that the clerk in the RS store will know what 1) an antenna is and 2) what a connector is. My experience with Radio Shack clerks is that they may not know either.

Youre not kidding!  I went into a shack to find some replacement speakers not too long ago, and the clerk did not even realize that there was a round thing with a cone in it inside of the little boxes.

RS stuff is not even consumer quality, much less automotive.  Have you ever tried to use their heat shrink tubing?  I may try Elliots Electronics first, and go to RS as a last resort.

Another thought occured to me...I have an antenna in my parts car, and I could cut the end off and splice it to the cable...but that may not be any easier.

Thanks, as always.

-d