News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

41 Pin Stripe

Started by Alan Feltham CLC member, January 10, 2006, 08:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Feltham CLC member

Can someone please confirm or modify this information:
Model 6219D: Two 1/16 wide pin stripes, various colors, 1/8 apart, 1/4 down from beltline crease, from front edge of front door around the body BUT not on the cowl area. Do not see info. in the Authenticity Manual.Thanks.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

You are correct. No striping on the cowl.

Doug Houston

I was afraid to tackle that one. I had some sort of notion that the top stripe was along the edge of the crease, and the other one below it, spaced as mentioned above.

The other thing Im a bit foggy on is that the color of the stripes was the color of the wheels. This striping was optional at extra cost, as Ive read. Only one of my 41 cars is a closed C body, so Id like to feel better about my impressions.

Any thoughts on it, Barry?

Bob Schuman, CLC#254

Alan,
I agree with your description of the striping, except I believe the top of the upper stripe should be just below the body beltline crease. Here is why I say that.
I have a copy of a factory photo of a 41-6219D, and have observed a similar car with original paint, as claimed by the owner, both of which have the striping positioned as above. However, ther have been other supposedly authentic cars with the top of the upper stripe about 1/4 below the crease.
When the authenticity manual was written, those of us who worked on it did not have any reliable information on stripe colors or on the exact positioning. Unless the answers are out ther hiding in someones files, we may never know such details for sure.
Bob Schuman

Doug Houston

Thats what I was thinking, Bob. There were stripes on my 416227 coupe originally, and I had remembered (vaguely) that the top stripe ran along the crease, as I said back a bit.

Alan Feltham CLC member

Bob Laughon #18623

Well, let me throw in my two cents worth.  At the national meet in Dearborn, I looked at a few 41s that were supposed to be original, and paid special attention to the pinstriping so I would know how to do my car.  One of the cars was that of Marty Watkins, the CLC Technician for 37-48 Cads.  My notes are fairly legible, and they say that there were two stripes, the bottom one 1/8 wide and IN THE CREASE, the upper one 1/16 wide, and the two stripes were 1/16 apart.  Anyway, I suggest you get in touch with Marty and ask him to go out in his garage and measure the stripes.  His car still has the original paint (two-tone green with white pinstripes).  His e-mail address is martyhw@msn.com.  Incidentally, he helped write the 41 authenticity manual, so you might point out to him that this is a subject that they failed to address.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

I was speaking with Carl Steig this morning, and he just got back from the Board meeting. The tour yesterday morning was a collector who had about 25 1941s. Two were supposed to be low mileage originals. You might give Carl a call (in the evening. He is restoring his rental house and wont be home till about 6:30 Pacific time.) He might also be able to give some more details.

Doug Houston

One thing that might be clouding this issue is that the striping was an extra-cost item in 41. It could have been done at the factory, or the dealer could have done it. OR an independent shop could also have added the stripes. Id say that its best to go back to your cars invoice from Cadillac and see if stripes were put on it at manufacture. I assume that youte trying to re-create original ones for a restoration.

vechtarend

my 41-6219
Anton

homeonprunehill

11-23-07
Anton, Sorry,can't help you on "pin-stripeing".
It may be prior to The days of pin-stripeing.
good Luck,JIM
USED,ABUSED AND MISUSED CADILLACS AND LA SALLES

Bill Podany #19567

The pin striping on 41's relative to authenticity is a topic without an exact answer, historically.  Much of the pin striping from my research was not done in the factory, but by the dealerships.  As a result, there exist living examples of diversity of application, especially with the 60 Special Fleetwood and 75 fleetwoods. 

Bob Schuman, who is one of the authors of the authenticity manuel, has studied the variations from his experience, and the resultant has been a reluctance to confirm factory authenticity in the manual.  Nonetheless, I own an award winning CLC, CCCA, and AACA 41 60 Special, and the pin striping application has followed the wisdom, research, and common sense of Mr. Schuman.  You should feel comfortable following his knowledge.

Bill Podany
Knoxville, TN
1941 60 Special Fleetwood
1955 Eldorado