News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Flathead V8 harmonic balancer

Started by Tom Beaver CLC 22002, January 12, 2006, 12:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Beaver CLC 22002

It appears that the 37 and 38 engines did not use one.  When did Cadillac start putting them on the V8?  I have one that supposeidly came from a 39 LaSalle engine.  Would it be worthwhile to put this balancer on the 38 LaSalle engine I am rebuilding and if so will the crank pulley still line up with the other pulleys?

Doug Houston

Checked the parts books, and the 37-series cars had the balancer, but not the 36. Ill have to check the 36 shop manual, just to make sure. The parts book further shows changes in the balancer until 1948.

For each year that a particular balancer is used, its the same on all V8 engines. Thus, a balancer for a 38 75 will be the same as on the LaSalle that year too.

One exception that I know of, and its a freak, is on the 41 that I have. The air conditioner compressor required a third pulley on the crankshaft, so there is no harmonic balancer.

Hope this helps.