News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The history of a factory color

Started by Greg McDonnell CLC #20841, January 13, 2006, 08:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg McDonnell CLC #20841

I have a question regarding the color of my recently acquired 77 Seville.  It is a striking color combination:  Desert Rose Firemist with a much darker brownish maroon vinyl top and a deep maroon leather interior.  When I first saw this car advertised on the internet, it just about took my breath away!  The color is very unusual.  The seller told me it was a one year only color and was not used on subsequent years (at least not 78 and 79).  I didnt check beyond that.  

Was this indeed a one year only color or was it used prior to 77 (maybe under a different name)?  Has it been offered since 77?  Would this info be in the data base?  Also how would I go about finding out the correct name for the vinyl top color and interior color?

Thanks in advance!

Greg McDonnell

Porter 21919

Greg,

Why dont you list the data plate and then maybe someone here that has the info can decode if for you.

Paint code can be found here:

http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclns.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclns.html

Heres an Eldorado Ralph Messina decoded for me.

10C
ST66-68467 FWD 283 Body
TR 484 97-6 Paint
ESMKI

It’s Eldorado number 283….early production.
Trim 484 is Lt Gold leather bench seat
Paint 97 is Florentine Gold Firemist
Roof 6 is Sandalwood
E = Soft Ray Glass
S = Remote Trunk Lock
M = Door Locks
K = Climate Control
1 = AM/FM Stereo Radio
Sounds like a pretty car.

Porter

Dick Heller

Similar to 1970 Eldorado with Wisteria exterior complemented with a white vinyl roof and interior.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

In response to your question, the exterior paint color name you mention is correct for 1977--"Desert Rose Firemist"--the interior name and vinyl roof that you describe (and most commonly matched to that color in 1977) were called "Claret." Similar colors that Cadillac has produced that come to mind are, "Wisteria" (1969), "Primrose Firemist" (1971), "Heather Firemist" (1985), and "Amethyst Firemist" (1987).

Other darker shades of purple were "Chateau Mauve Firemist" (1969 & 1970), "Dark Plum" (1992 & 1993), Amethyst (1995), and also "Dark Amethyst" (also in 1987).

The lighter shades are especially elegant, and were most often unique to the Cadillac line among the General Motors products. It would be great to see Cadillac re-introduce some of the former great colors from the past, especially something similar to the combination on the car you describe. One of my favorite automotive memories as a child was riding in my Uncles 1971 "Primrose Firemist" Fleetwood Brougham, with Black Vinyl Roof (and Opera Lamps) and a "Heather Dante Cloth with Heather Leather" Interior--really an eye-catcher! Good luck with your attractive 77 Seville!

Dick Heller

Quote from: Dick HellerSimilar to 1970 Eldorado with Wisteria exterior complemented with a white vinyl roof and interior.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Cadillac-Eldorado-69-Coupe-runs-MINT_W0QQitemZ4603533199QQcategoryZ6147QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

When I went to the Indy swap meet last Sept, there was a 69 Eldo for sale along the road leading to the meet in the "lt purple" with a white vinyl roof. Very nice looking car. Dont know whether or not it sold. I think it was only in the $6K area.

Greg McDonnell CLC #20841

Thanks Rich for all the info and the kind words regarding my new Seville!  I am aware of the interior color known as Claret and I would agree, that is probably what the interior in my Seville is referred to.  I viewed the color chips for 77 and there is a section for vinyl roof coverings colors.  Claret is mostly likely the color for my vinyl roof as well although it is MUCH darker than the interior.  Once the car arrives from CT. I will check the data plates trim number(s) against the numbers on the chip chart to verify this.

I agree with you regarding the older Cadillac colors.  Some of them were really stunning on the cars - real head turners! Auto color choices seem to be cyclical to some degree depending upon the current trends in interior design and the fashion industry.  (Who can forget the earth tone colors from the early seventies?)  Ive about had it with all the somber grays, off whites, creams, silvers, tans and browns.  Im more than ready to see some exciting color combos return to modern cars!  Cant you just see a 2007 DTS in Persian Sand???  Now THAT would turn some heads!!!!!!!

Greg McDonnell  

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Tom Hall 7485

I worked in a fairly high volume Cadillac dealership for part of 1977 but I dont think I saw a Seville in the color combination you describe.  The dark maroon vinyl top and interior on your car were intended especially to go with the color Madeira Maroon.  Three-way maroon Sevilles for 1977 I did see.  I think your research will show that the formula for 1977 Desert Rose Firemist is probably unique to that year, although there have been shades of metallic rose off and on since the 1950s.

Greg McDonnell #20841

Tom,

Thanks for the info you provided in your post.  The more I learn about my car, the more I think it was specially ordered by the original owner.  I have his name so I may try to contact him (a doctor in NJ) and see if my hunch is correct.  The car has just about every option available in 77 including an Astroroof.  Even has the six way power seat on the passengers side as well as a power recliner. Metallic rose was probably not the most popular color choice for 77 Sevilles but when I saw photos of the one I bought, I was blown away by the color combo.  The dark vinyl roof and interior really are a nice complement to the lighter metallic rose.  Ive looked at a lot of Sevilles from 76 thru 79 for the last 5 or 6 years and have never found one that had the impact this car had on me!  Guess it was worth the wait! The car is a low mileage example (40K) and has been well taken care of.  Im thrilled to have found it!  

Greg McDonnell

Tom Hall 7485

It isnt likely your car was ordered for stock.  Also, the doctor probably is not very tall; the Astroroof reduces headroom one to two inches.  Now, you can return my favor by finding me a nineteen seventy-five-and-a-half Seville in Vapour Grey, Bombay Yellow, or Gossamer Blue Firemist!