News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 grille repair

Started by baxter culver #17184, January 14, 2006, 02:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baxter culver #17184

My  grille has a broken piece that I would like to repair before it gets worse.  Seeking advice re: cold repair products or other processes that will stop the break but not require  total restoration of the whole grille assembly (very expensive).  The car is unrestored and I want to keep it that way--just do the necessary maintenance stuff to keep it attractive and functional.

Porter 21919

Baxter,

JB Weld is the best epoxy I have ever used, better than PC-7.

Porter

Baxter Culver#17184

Porter,
Thank you.  I thought of JB Weld.  Have used it many times but never on "pot" metal.  Have you tried to bond it to pot metal?  The broken piece is the very top left corner of the center grill.  Because the cowl fits under the grill at this point, some flexing occurs while installing/removing the cowl.  After removing to fix the shutters and thermostat, and replace the radiator, I swore I wouldnt disturb it again.  Now that Im about to pull the engine for a "freshening", the cowl probably will come off (along with the radiator and the grill and the bumper and the. . . .
It will be a good time to fix the break, though.

Porter 21919

Baxter,

Im sure JB weld would be strong but not suitable for a rechrome on pot metal.

A quick web-search turned up this:

http://www.muggyweld.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.muggyweld.com/

Super Alloy 1 is a multi-metal, low temperature solder with a melting point of 350o. Its unique properties allow you to join copper, aluminum, brass, pot metal, white metal, zinc die cast, stainless, galvanized, pewter and steel in any combination. This rod allows you to join metals such as steel to aluminum, which welding instructors are STILL teaching cant be done.

Practice makes perfect, good luck.

Porter