News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

exhaust pipe distance to oil pan 1962?

Started by greg, January 15, 2006, 09:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greg

the muffler shop installed a y pipe that is probably within a 1/2 inch of the oil pan.  How close can the pipe be before it starts heating the oil and if this is too close can I install a  piece of heat shield?

Bob Dziewit

I had this same question on a 62 many years ago and was told that as long as the pipe is not touching the pan youre OK.  If it touches, it will coke the oil which will cause bearing failure and other problems.  Be carefull driving over obstacles because the car I owned at the time had the pipe bent into the oil pan by a previous owner which is why I was concerned.  Replacing the Y-pipe was the only remedy.

Jack Miller

Hi,

I have the same problem with a 1961.
My y pipe is less than 1/2 of an inch. I was thinking about bringing it to a Midas shop and having them bend the pipe of adding an extention to it.
I do not want to cook the motor.

Jack