News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Brake Bleeding Problem

Started by George Woodford clc21025, January 17, 2006, 07:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Woodford clc21025

I was bleeding the brakes on a 1976 Eldorado and was having a problem with the brake on one rear wheel.  After one or two bleed cycles, I would get some air bubbles.  I continued several bleed cycles, but I was still getting some air bubbles after a two or three bleed cycles.  There was no problem with bleeding the brake on the other rear wheel or the front brakes.  Is it possible that the problem is limited to the caliper on this rear wheel where I continue to have air bubbles after a cycle or two with no air bubbles? Or is the problem elsewhere? The process I used involves using a clear tube connected to the bleeder screw to a bottle with some fluid in the bottom.  The brake pedal is depressed and held while the bleeder screw is open momentary and then closed allowing some fluid to pass.  This process is repeated until there is no air bubbles after four or five bleed cycles.

Lou 19028

When you do a brake bleed. You must start from the furthest one first.Usually the right rear drum would be the first one to start with. This way you dont trap any air in the line. You probably have an air trap situation. Give it another try.

Mike #19861

Lou is right, Start with the rt rr wheel first, then the lt rear, rt front and finally lt front.

If you are getting air still, be persistant and you will get it all out.

I like to gravity bleed them first. Leave all the bleeders open until you see clean fluid at all of them. Close them up and bleed the system as per normal.

Mike