News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Changing Trans. & PS Fluid or leave alone?

Started by Tim, January 18, 2006, 07:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

I recently purchased a 95 Seville with 65,000 miles on it. According the records I was able to obtain, its first 4 years were spent in NYC and the last 6 years in VT. I have pretty much gone through the vehicle with a major tune up, filter changes and other routine items. In my last visit to the repair shop to replace the center mounted stop light, the mechanic urged me to get my transmission fluid and power steering fluid changed. I asked him if that met dropping the pan of the transmission ( is there one? )to get the metal shavings out. He said he was not sure if it was a contained unit or not, and said hed check for the my return visit.

My question is, given this was a city car ( all be it low milage )and it is now 11 years old, do you recommend a change in transmission fluids and power steering? If so, what do I need to be aware of if anything? Car shifts fine. Thanks for any updates.

Tim

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Tim,

Whenever I purchase a car, I usually drop the pan on an Auto Transmission and change the filter and put in fresh oil.   That way, I can check the condition of the oil and assure myself that everything is okay.

But on a modern car, and it isnt that often, I get my local Auto Trans Shop to do a service on the car I buy and that includes adjusting the bands and whatever is required, without rebuilding it, to ensure I have reliable transport.   I dont have the proper tools to do these ones with the electronic solenoids and such.

As far as the Power Steering goes, I never change the oil there.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

denise 20352

I wont take my car anywhere to have the transmission fluid changed.  There are too many unscrupulous shop owners who will drop something into the pan to make the transmission fail later, or run a magnet through it and try to tell you that you need a transmission overhaul.  If you have a mechanic you can trust, changing the fluid and filter is a good plan, but dont go to a transmission shop for that.

Have never heard of changing the power steering fluid.  Does the owners manual say to do that?

-d

Ray Seigle

Thats a pretty good question.   Brake fluid absorbs humitidy....I would assume maybe that basically all of the fluids absorb humidity/moisture which lowers the effectiveness of that fluid and additionally adds to the possibility of corrosion in the subsequent systems and lines.. From that stand point, you might want to.  But I dont think Ive seen that the maintance manuals recommend it.......Im asking this as much as  trying to make a case for it......??

Doug

A trusted old mechanic friend of mine told me years ago that when the ATF turns orange and then yellow as miles are racked up over time, it has lost much of its lubricating ability.  So you change the transmission fluid for that reason - - the oil wears out and is contaminated among other things.  Seems like the same thing happens in a power steering pump, but probably not nearly as quickly due to the difference in punishment.  Ive read elsewhere on this site about whining PS pumps, and the cure was to change the fluid.  So it stands to reason its not a bad idea every 100K miles or so.  What Ive done is to periodically suck (with one of those bulb type rubber/plastic extractors they sell at places like Pep Boys - what do they call them?) out the fluid in the resevor, and pour in fresh.  Doing that 2 or 3 times dilutes the old stuff in the lines and gear box and seems to do the trick.  I dont know if Im preventing problems, but I have a tendency to be a bit obsessive about such things.  I go through the same routine with the master cylinder, which is a lot easier than bleeding.  My 2 c. Doug

Fred Garfield 22310

Mike #19861

All the dealers will urge you to perform certtain maintenance operations. These things are very profitable for them, and with newer cars requiring fewer and fewer maintenance operations, the dealers are forced to find differant service operations that they can sell you.

Now, changing transmission fluid is always a good idea as a regular maintenance operation. GM recommends it after every 60,000km (35,000 miles). Now, you will never change all the fluid, since there is a large amount in the convertor, the new fluid replenishes the additives. A filter change gets the pan off so that it can be cleaned, and inspected for debris. If there are metal chunks or filings in there, the transmission is lot long for this world anyway. It is typical, though, to find a dark sediment build up in the pan.

Power steering fluid changes are mostly for profit. It is not entirely necessary to do so, but it cant hurt. Most dealers have a special machine that will effectively change the all the fluid. Repeated ly draining and refilling the reservoir will eventually accomlish the same measure, but does not work as effectively as having the proper equipment to do so.

Mike

George Woodford clc21025

I heard on a radio program where people call with there auto problems and heard a question about replacing PS fluid.  The advice was to replace it since over time the fluid breaks-down and losses it ability to lubricate the seals and other parts.  Any details about replacing this fluid would be interesting to read.  I plan to replace mine myself since finding a shop to do it is difficult and no doubt expensive.

Mike #19861

George,

Replacement of any fluid in the car is never a bad idea, but its absolute necessity is sometimes more of a revenue scource than a real benefit. Many many cars go to the wreckers with the original factory fill fluid, and never had an issue with leaks or problems.

But, if you wish to do it on your own, there ar a couple of methods. The cars with the reservoir attached top the pump is the easiest. Simply remove the return hose from the reservoir and plug the fitting. Place the end of the hose in a container. Fill the reservoir with fresh fluid and start the engine. Turn the wheel to full lock, this opens the relief valve and allows full flow. Keep filling the reservoir as it depletes, and when fresh fluid starts to come out of the return hose, the flush is complete.  

On cars with a remote reservior, it is more difficult to get all the fluid out, but the process is about the same. You will have to access the return line to the pump from the steering gear. Place the end of the hose in a container. You may have to install a hose extension to reach the container. Drain and refill the reservoir with fresh fluid. Then start the engine and turn the steering to full lock and fill the reservoir as it depletes in the same fashion. Once the fluid is clean coming out of the return, the flush is complete.

Mike

Rhino 21150

I have owned cars made by GM, Ford, Chrysler, Fiat, VW, Toyota, Nissan. I have always replaced the trans fluid when I got the car. I have never replaced the power steering fluid. Several of those cars had over 300K on them when I sold them. Always top off everything the day you get it, dont overlook the axle, if it isnt IN the engine.

Kevin Bielinski

Every single tranny with 50K + that I have changed the fluid in started to slip right afterwards.  Matter of fact, it even  happened to my ex grilfriends dad. Keep in mind that all of them were operating perfectly before this. From what I have found out through my own research is this...............the old fluid contains friction material on it that has worn off the clutches. Since the fluid is pumped through the system, the clutches are bathed with this fluid and the tranny knows no better and works properly. Once you drop the fluid and change it, youeve lost the friction material and  things start to go wrong because the clutches now are not being constantly saturated with the friction material in the fliud that wore off the clutches. Its been at least 14 years since Ive changed tranny fluid, Its been at least 14 years since Ive had a tranny break down. I think its a crap shoot if you change the stuff. One thing I would recommend is this..........get a tranny cooler. Heat buildup will kill a tranny faster than dirty fluid will.

George Woodford clc21025

After looking at a diagram of the steering system for a late seventies C-car, I understand the process that you outlined.  For the Eldorado, the lines run to the Hydro-boost unit and back through a filter before entering the reservoir.  I could disconnect the line at the filter to drain the fluid.  Does the system on the Eldorado complicate the process? Are there other things I need to take into consideration?

denise 20352

I worked at a gas station when I was a teenager, and the boss told me never to do a transmission service if the fluid was dark-colored, because it would ruin the transmission.

Have also heard of people pouring brake fluid into a transmission, because it makes the clutches and bands swell and it lasts a little longer.  Thats a car lot trick.

-d

Michael Stamps 19507

I once had a Saab (hey they are a GM car now) that had a PS leak and an oil leak.  I was tried once when checking them and found out that about a cup of PS fluid in the engine will help seal up the oil leak.  Please do not do this at home.

Stampie