News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1977 deville power antenna

Started by Sid Bartos, January 19, 2006, 05:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sid Bartos

hi, ive had my 77 deville for over a year now and im just now trying to figure out the broken power antenna. it doesnt make any noise and it wont go down if i push it. luckily its stuck in the up position. It doesnt make any noise anytime either. Im not sure how to go about trying different things and i cant seem to figure out a good way to get it out of the car. can anyone help? thanks, sid bartos

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

First, you need small hands. I have had both my /88 Brougham and 79 Broughams antennae done by my shop. Let HIM scar his hands up. First, take loose the back splash shield on the RH front fender. I think the screw nuts that fit in the rear part of the opening. Then, you can get into the area where the antenna is shoehorned in. Taking the wiring clips and antenna lead are fairly easy to get to. I still have that job to do on my new 79 CDV. There is usually no fix to the antenna unless you have access to the nylon gear that strips and keeps it from operating. If it makes no noise, it may be that you might find the electrical connection lying on the group of wires in front of the a/c box. It may have been disconnected in the up position when a former owner got it up, and decided they wished to listen to the radio rather than have it down and be unable to. Usually, when you try to force it up or down, the staff gets bent or broken. There are universal antennae on eBay for about thirty dollars that are warranted to work and fit your car. As the vendor points out, his competitor at the lower price does NOT warrant his offering. Good luck.