News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

A/C in Caddys - When?

Started by Mike Adams, January 22, 2006, 07:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Adams

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what year Cadillac started putting factory air conditioning in automobiles?

Thank you,
Mike

Mike #19861

However, Cadillac, along with Packard, offered air conditioning in 1940 or 41. It was a heavy and complex affair and only a few cars were so equipped.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

And our own Doug Houston has one!

Mike #19861

Id love to see this system, and a technical description of it. I have never actually seen one, or even any real information on it.

Mike

Doug Houston

It was furnished to Cadillac (and Packard) by Bishop & Babcock, of Cleveland. Cadillac built 300 jobs in 41 with air conditioning. Three are known today: Richard Kughn, Detroit (41-75), Richard Zieger(SP?)(41-60S) California, and mine 41-6227D), Ortonville, Mich.

Drive was from the front of the crankshaft with a third pulley, replacing the harmonic balancer. The compressor was mounted on the left front end of the engine on special bracketry. There was no clutch to engage/disengage the compressor, so in winter, it was necessary  to remove one of the drive belts.

The radiator was the same as on all other cars. The condenser was mounted in front of the radiator, as on todays cars. Horns were re-located upward to clear the condenser couplings.

The evaporator was in the trunk, with the outlet in the center of the parcel shelf, using the space where the tool compartment normally was.  Condensate drained from the evaporator through a tube through the floor pan.

The only control was a 3 speed  blower switch beneath the dash, to the left of the steering column, with a knob similar to the fog light knob, but with no markings. The blower motor was immediately below the air outlet in the parcel shelf.

Caillac published a small booklet titled: Cadillac Air Conditioning Manual that year. I had the book before I ever had the car.

Cooling is reasonably good. The system has a tendency to frost over, mainly because the air intake comes from around the back seat, through air filters in the rear seat panel. There should have been a better air flow designed for it. On a muggy day, there is condensation on the OUTER surface of the backlight (the rear window). Ive smugly commented that there are only three 41 Cadillacs where this is possible.

My car has Hydra-Matic on it, and never had a heater before I installed a system. The radio isnt shown on the invoice, so it was installed some time after delivery.  It was delivered by Greenlease-Moore Cadillac in Oklahoma City. The car has been on trips at highway speeds in the summer, and has not overheated. Im the sixth owner.

Mike #19861

Doug,

Thank you for the description. It answers a lot of my questions.

By your description, the system seems to be fairly effective, that being a very early application of AC into a car. But. I would understand that the rear seat passengers would be far more cooled that those in the front. But yours being a Series 62, the system should be more effective than those in the Series 75.

I also understand that there were some highway coaches that were fitted with AC about this time as well. GM Coach in conjunction with Frigidaire designed systems for these coaches. Am I correct in this?

Is there a site where I can see pictures of the system?

Mike

Doug Houston

As far as air circulation goes, I havent been in Dick Kughns 75, but the air is blown along the headliner, though the outlet has adjustable vanes. Of course, the rear passengers will get more cool air, but driving my coupe (always alone), I get cool air decently.

Im sure that buses had refrigeration systems in them before 41. I hjavent any information on that.

I can scan the page of the manual which shows a line drawing of the system, and I have a picture of the compressor on the engine as the car was being restored. I can e-mail those.

Philippe M. Ruel

Thanks for your description of this system. Roy Schneider mentions it in his book Cadillacs of the Forties about David O. Selznicks 1942 Series 75, so equipped. I have a few sketches of it, too, in old Motors auto repair manuals.
I guess the booklet you are referring to would be a great addition to my friend Yann Saunders Cadillac Database CLC-linked website, I would receive a scanned copy of it with pleasure as well.

Mike #19861

Doug,

Thank you for the offer to do that. It would be most appreciated.

I always have had a fascination for pioneering.

Mike
 guidematic@hotmail.com

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Mike,

Back in those days, in the Limos and the like, the driver wasnt considered a very important person, especilly if it was a chauffeur driven automobile.

One only has to look at the cramped seating that was fitted to the cars with the the divider window.   At least the driver and off-sider got to sit on Leather seats, whereas the passengers in the rear got more luxurious upholstery, even though it never lasted longer than the leather.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV, with leather.

Doug Houston

Chauffeur driven cars werent all cramped, though some certainly were. My first car was (is) a 41-60S formal sedan. That means  that it has the divider window. The front seat is fixed, and cannot be adjusted. But depending on the drivers dimension and proportions, the front seat in that car can be perfectly comfortable. Fortunately, it is for me, and the car is a pleasure to drive. My proportions are short legs and  longer torso. This shows in handling a motorcycle. Ive always had to stretch my toes when at a stop to remain in balance. This is on a Harley, which is a low bike as it is. But now that I have only one natural foot, I havent tried to ride it for the past 6 years. Keeping yourself balanced while stopped or just standing is tricky, as youre always correcting with your foot and toes.

Anyway, back to the formal cars. For those with the divider window, the driver gets short-changed when the air con is on and the window is closed.

Allen B. Simons #16572

Hi, Doug. What a coincidence that you are referencing your 1941-6227Ds AC system, as I have recently noted your beautiful coupe on the Cadillac Database.  I am researching factory AC systems for a future publication.  I would be greatful for a copy of the 1941 Cadillac Air Conditioning Manual, pics of system components, and of your car.
Interestingly enough, I once examined a 1940-41 Packard limo with factory AC at a garage in Houston.
 Thanks, Allen in Texas #16572
               alienbsimons@yahoo.com

Jim Major CLC 23018

I found an interesting article regarding the history of automotive AC on the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers website:

http://www.ashrae.org/content/ASHRAE/ASHRAE/ArticleAltFormat/2003627102420_326.pdf TARGET=_blank>http://www.ashrae.org/content/ASHRAE/ASHRAE/ArticleAltFormat/2003627102420_326.pdf

Jim Major CLC 23028

Rusty Shepherd CLC 6397

I know that Pontiac was the first GM car with in-dash factory air conditioning in 1954 and my parents1956 Oldsmobile had it, but I think it was 1957 or 1958 before Cadillac unloaded the trunk. Am I right? Also, did all the sedans with the Frigidaire trunk system have the ducts/vents in the headliner over the doors which were attached to the plastic tubes coming out of the package shelf and all of the coupes just have the tubes open and used as vents? I also seem to remember the 1955 C-Body Buick sedans having just the open tubes with no headliner vents which seems odd if the Cadillac sedans had them.

Mike Simmons ( 938)

Mike- If you wish to see clear pictures of a 41 Packard AC installation, go to eBay.com and search for # 4645438814- auction ended yesterday (6/6)