News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Automatic Seatback Release Not Operating

Started by Rich Sullivan CLC #11473, January 22, 2006, 09:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

The passenger side automatic seatback release on my 1971 Eldorado is not working--requires reaching down to the manual release down low on the seatback, in order to tilt the seatback on that side. The drivers side seatback release, as well as the power door locks, are operating fine. Although I havent yet looked in the Shop Manual, does anyone have any suggestions where to start/what may be wrong? Thanks!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Rich,

I would firstly be looking at the door switch for that side, in case each side is separate in the wiring department.   As you know, the solenoid only gets activated when the door is opened.

Then, it could simply be a loose wire at the solenoid, like a connector coming undone caused by someones big feet whilst sitting in the rear seat.

Those solenoids arent rocket science.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Mike #19861

Bruce would be along the right lines here. I think there are 2 door jamb switches on these cars. One for the lights, and the other for the seat back solenoid. As far as I know they are interchangible.

Mike

Lars Kneller 8246

Those solenoids do stop working.  To replace it, you have to remove the plastic trim that goes around the rear of the front seat.  Then remove the hogrings that hold the outer side of the upholstery together.  You can then peel back the upholstery to get to the solenoid.  It is held with 2 bolts that are easily seen.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Thanks to all who replied for all the useful information. I hope to work on this soon, if our weather improves.