News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Black smoke

Started by wilson, January 25, 2006, 06:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wilson

I have an 84 Eldo and have recently change the wires/Disp Cap, Rotor, EGR Valve and cleaned out the ports on the carb. I now have black soot coming out of the tail pipe and onto the driveway . What gives, can anyone help me!

wm link

I gather you used a spray type cleaner to clean out the Throttle body...the black smoke is probably the cumpustion of the cleaner. If it does not go away...the mixture is too rich and that could have several causes. A dirty aircleaner or vacuum leak can cause a rich mixture.

wilson

I checked the exhaust, it was sooty and wet. I ran her for about 5 miles and noticed she was blowing out black smoke. I keep her outside and under cover. What gives if its not the spray?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Mr. Wilson,

Black smoke is usually the result of an over-rich mixture.

And, the exhaust wont really get hot enough to boil out all the moisture until you have driven around 50 miles.

Keeping a car outside, is a sure way of collecting condensation, but I would still be looking for a stuck enrichment, (i.e. Choke, etc,)
that taked more than a short drive to release.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV