News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Sound Insulation

Started by john baker, January 25, 2006, 07:14:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john baker

I own a 1967 Calais and would like to soundproof/insulate it when I replace the interior. It would be helpful to better understand what products, options, lessons learned, etc. are available. Any comments, advice, articles, etc. would be appreciated.
Regards,
John Baker CLC #22559

Lars Kneller 8246

Ive used this stuff you can get from JC Whitney.  It has foil on one side, and an insulation material on the other side.  It is about 3/8" thick, and comes in a 6ft. roll if I remember correctly.  You need 2 rolls to do under carpet.

Scott # 22304

I used the same type of material for mine. However I bought it as a Hot Water Heater blanket from my local Home Depot.  If I remember correctly it is less expensive and readily available. If you need more than the standard size heater you can buy the extra large or the small size also. It works very well.  Scott #22304

john baker

Hi Lars,
Thakns for the tip. I would also like to insulate the roof as well. My goal is to get the Calais as quite as possible. Along those lines, I have to replace all of the weather stripping, window channel, etc.
Regards,
Jack CLC # 22559

john baker

Thanks for the help, Scott.
How much of an improvement did you notice in the road noise level after it was installed?
Regards,
Jack CLC 22559

Fred Garfield 22310

Quietest car I ever rode in was a Mercedes. When I do my 59, thats probably the insulator Ill try to find at salvage.

john baker CLC #22559

Great idea. I like it. Have fun with the 1959. Thanks for the information.

Regards,

Jack

Scott Howard #22304

John that is a good question. It is diffcult to explain how much of an improvemnet it made as it was in a 1974 MG Midget.  It is just one of those things that you can tell how much better it is but can not describe it. I do know it dramatically cut down the engine/transmission heat that came thru before it was there. That difference alone was pretty amazing.  The noise is hard to describe.  I put this same stuff in my 62 convertible however it is not road worthy at this time so no comparison there either. Good luck either way you go.  Scott #22304

john baker

Hi Scott,
Thanks for the reply. I owned a 1969 MGB in college and it was hot. My roommate owned an AH 3000, and it was hot as well.

It is reasonable to expect some sound and heat improvement over what I have now. If it is dramatic, I will post information on a new thread. The weather stripping and window channel needs to be replaced as well.

Can you suggest a set of shocks to try? Others have suggested AC Delco shocks, but if there is something more effective, I would prefer those.

Regards,

John Baker 22559

john baker

Hey Frank,
Check this link out. This guy did a great job on his 1959 and might be able to help you avoid potential problems.

http://www.mckennasgarage.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.mckennasgarage.com/

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

John

Scott Howard #22304

Hi John, I dont have any specific suggestions. however over the years I have become more & more of a OEM type of buyer. It fits like it is supposed to, alledgedly it was designed with that particular vehicle in mind, & alot of times I have found the prices to be pretty consistant with aftermarket parts.  

The Kanter boys seem to have a fairly priced set of shocks $130.00 set of 4. I dont know about the ride quality.  Good luck. Scott. #22304

Fred Garfield 22310

Thanks, Jack! And, yes, Ive seen Bills website. He did a full frame-off resto. At my age, I probably wouldnt survive that kind of strain, so I bought a car that didnt need that much work. Still, I found a lot of great info on his site.