News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

how long will zinc sprayed metal keep before topcoat?>

Started by Brett, January 29, 2006, 06:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brett

I sprayed up the rims last night with the zinc (I guess POR15 metal ready=oxysolv?) and have them now in garbage bags zip tied shut..how long can I wait before i paint them?

Also, I am leaning towards the ZeroRust, then topcoating with proper 2 stage urethane. Can the urethane go over the ZeroRust? I will have a car in a body shop for an engine compartment spray and I might just ask them to spray up the rims at the same time, but this is a good 6 weeks out. I would prefer to have them coated in zerorust first.

Porter 21919

Brett dude,

Calm down man, steel will not rust under cover of your garage, matter of fact the sealed bags might create moisture, the zinc phosphate will protect the steel.

No need for any paint if the bodyshop will shoot some 2K black on the rims in six weeks.

Just have them wipe the wheels down with some lacquer thinner and spray em up buddy.

They are only wheels , youll never see them anyway. Most of the rust on my 66 wheels was on the inside, I sandblasted them good and soaked them  down with the zinc phosphate, two coats of black zero rust and Im good to go.

Porter

Brett

hard for me to be calm...I have lost two sentimental cars to rust. One was a 75 VW that I spent two summers sanding and using rust converters and such, only to see it creep back 5 years later  :(