News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1941 Cadillac Model 67

Started by Alan 21992, February 06, 2006, 01:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan 21992

In a search for parts for my 1940 Model 72,.. I located a 1941 Cadillac... it has a divider with glass ..and all appearance of a Limo..but I do not recognize the body style..The body tag emboss number is 67. The condition is fair with some floor rust and a few dents..but otherwise complete..My question is ..what is the history of this model?.how many produced?...and value..as I am considering poss. trade value or sell towards parts for my 1940.
  Thank you

Harry Scott (4195)

Allan, There were about 900 67 series  produced in 41, about 200 of which were model 6733 with divider window. There were some produced in 42, but Im not sure of the numbers. The body was a Fisher and the interior was Fleetwood. They are longer and lower than the 75 series, but not as plush and they do not have exterior running boards. I have a 6733 which is about 80percent finished.  

Doug Houston

The Cadillac 67 was a 1941-42 model, only. It shared body components with Cadillacs B body, series 61 and the Cadillac-only 63. All three cars weere identical from the front end to the B pillar.

The reason that Cadillac had two limousine body series was that Buick got a new body in 41 for their 90 series cars. It was the body that was Cadillacs 67. Corporation policy was that the only division that could have a body exclusive to it was Cadillac. Just look at Cadillacs own bodies for 41, and youll see what I mean. The 60 Special, 63 and 75 were Cadillac-only bodies. So, when Buick could have the new body, they had to share it with Cadillac, and that gave Cadillac the series 67.  In my own foolish opinion, I think that the 67 was a very handsome car. I once had a 42-67 for a short while, and loved it. Had to sell it to make room for another 41 that I wanted badly. being a sort of 41 nut, I love the 41-67 pretty strongly. The Clasasic Car Club recognizes the 67 as a full classic (and wisely, I feel).

Now, Cadillac did have two limo bodies in 1940, as most of us know. They were the 75 (and 90) cars from 1938, and carried through 1940. Cadillac brought out their new, and handsome body as the 72 and ran it alongside then 75-90 cars. In 1941, the 1938-40 75 bodies disappeared, and the 72 became the 75, and remained so through 1949.

Now, having said all of the above, Lets look at the 63 Buick Riviera. It was to heve been a LaSalle. Even the styling  proposal model had the LaSalle nameplates on it (See the LaSalle book). But Cadillac didnt want the car, and it went to Buick, which was a jewel in their line. Now, look at the car. It had a Buick-only body, a Buick-only engine, a Buick-only transmission, and a Buick-only chassis. It was an exception by default to the policy of Cadillac-exclusiveness. It never happened before or since. And what a fine car it is!

Doug Houston

Interesting car. It would suffer badly in judging. The wood-effect steering wheel and all that woodgrain stuff in it is 64, and possibly 65. Dave Holls was director of the Buick studio in 63, and showed me that interior that was in his company car, and told of its being used in the next year (64) models. Also, leather interiors were optional, and the one in this car, while correct, is the standard cloth and vinyl interior. Another puffed-up so-so car.

Fred Garfield 22310

Fascinating! Doug, I double dare you to ask him when he modified the steering, console, etc to woodgrain and how on earth that slipped by the judges when they saw this award winning car. If you do that, Ill ask him why he still hasnt posted those additional photos of the upholstery, undercarriage, etc.

Doug Houston

I assume you are referring to Dave Holls factory car. The changes to it were just using the woodgrain finish on the existing console, and having he wood-effect steering wheel.He had just made the interior look like a 64 during 63. As far as judging goes, there was no issue. It was his factory-supplied car, and just another car to be used. The car was possibly sold, or even baled up, as most facility cars are.

A close pal of mine had a 63 Riviera that I helped him install a slew of gauges on. He loves gadgets, and went over the deep end on this one. It looked like an airliner inside. We usd the Di-Noc wood grain decals on the face of the console after cutting the holes for the instrumants. It looked very good. I have a picture of it on a disk somewhere. The kid was in the Army, and had that car all over Europe, then finally back stateside. Its gone now.

Mike #19861

Yes, this was one instance where Harlow Curtis, as the division manager of Buick, tried to infringe on Cadillacs well protected position in the hiearchy.

Alfred Sloan put a stop to it, but had to allow the Buick to continue with the body. Cadillacs version was the way out for GM.

But, when Curtis took the reigns of GM president, he once again allowed Buick, which was still his pet, to infringe on Cadillacs territory with the 58 Limited.

Ultimatly, he was responsible for the muddying of the marque hiearchy so closely guarded by Sloan, and perhaps the beginning flares of GMs downfall.

Mike

Doug Houston

The 63 Riviera was a package that became a Buick-only car by default. The other divisions had not planned a counterpart for it, so the body could never have been shared. Dave Holls himself, told me about it. He was mighty proud of that car, and rightfully so.
It would have made no sense to re-work the body to another in the line, ao the whole thing was tooled and produced as a most special Buick. By the way, the spelling is: Curtice.

As far as the 58 Limited, Id have to dig out the data, but it was a C body, with Buicks panels. I had never heard of a special body for that car. Buicks heritage was jealously upheld until the bean counters came in and demolished the whole corporation.

At Bill Mitchells funeral, there were several cars in the procession from the church to White Chapel cemetary. The factorys white Riviera was one of them. Its so beautiful, I was afraid to stand too close to it. The Buick Club guys had overseen the restoration of it.  They also had a 63 split window Vette, a 67 Eldorado, an 82 Seville, and my 38 60 Special. It was quite a procession. Mitchell sure did love that Riviera.

Fred Garfield 22310

Doug, I was referring to the seller on ebay, not to Holls factory car. He said his award winning 63 was all original and you pointed out that the wood grain trim was not available to anybody but guys like Holls in 1963.

Id love to see the photos of that custom instrument panel you did. Sometime soon Ill be tricking out the dash in my 59. The glove compartment is useless, but the door to it isnt, so Ill install a custom-fit plexiglass panel with triple gauges and stereo head unit, all quick disconnect since the only way to get the wonderbar out for repair is down through the glove. I also want to get behind the dash and put in bright blue LEDs and re-do the needles in blood red. If you have experience in this sort of thing, Id appreciate any pointers you can throw my way.

Fred Garfield 22310

Whoa! YOUR 38 was in Bill Mitchells funeral procession? What an incredible honor that must have been. I know I would have been thrilled to drive my 59 at the funeral of Mitchells predecessor or even at Don Lees funeral.