News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1961 Cadillac show car?

Started by David Temple, February 08, 2006, 05:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Temple

Does anyone in this club know of a special paint/trim 1961 Cadillac being shown at the GM Motorama? I suspect there was a Cadillac Series 62 or Eldorado convertible shown with special paint and/or special upholstery. Chevrolet had the Impala Special convertible; Pontiac had the Bonneville Moda dOro convertible; Olds showed a Starfire convertible in a special color; Buick displayed the Flamingo convertible. Cadillac must have displayed something similar in concept. I checked the Cadillac Database but found nothing to indicate such a car. I did find a reference to a four-door (60-Special I think) with an experimental vinyl top, but that is all. -- David Temple, #22317

Yann Saunders, 12588

Yes, there was such a car.  It is mentioned in Chapter 10 and also illustrated on pp. 99 and 103 of the book "The GM Motorama" by CLC member Bruce Berghoff.  Obviously, that 61 Eldorado was not a "custom" car, like Cadillac usually showed at prior GM Motoramas, but I guess it did have  custom paint job an matching trim (I dont have the details).

David Temple

Yann, I saw the photo on page 103, but there is nothing in the caption that says the pictured Cadillac had special paint and/or upholstery, though I suspect it did. I will ask Bruce Berghoff about it. -- David Temple, #22317

Bruce Berghoff - #1476

All of the 1961 GM product line displayed on the Waldorf "Grasshopper" stage including Cadillac was dressed in identical Pearl-Mist white paint. This was Duponts premier showing of their very fragile pearlescent finish that was subject to rapid oxidation and yellowing. Consequently it would be thirty years before the paint industry perfected this pigment to the point that GM would offer a similar color as a production finish.

David Temple, #22317

Did GM do the same thing for the 1959 Motorama? I read of a pearl white 1959 Coupe de Ville being on stage (though clearly the paint provider would not have been Dupont). -- David Temple

Bruce Berghoff - CLC 1476

David...As I explained in my e-mail I goofed ! It was the 59 stage cars that were all painted pearl. The 61s were a variety of pastels to be offset by the colorful goofy costumes of the King and Queen of the ball and the Court Jester. Im wrapping up the last chapter of my Futurliner book and that 4 million dollar Barrett-Jackson auction bid must still have my mind a little rattled. Sorry about that ! BB

David Temple, #22317

Your email was received Bruce. Thanks for your willingness to answer my seemingly endless questions about the Motorama show cars. You have been very helpful. -- David Temple