News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Electrical fire in 41 Cadillac

Started by Bill Ingler #7799, February 12, 2006, 09:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ingler #7799

Eight 40 through 47 Cadillacs from Phoenix spent the last 4 days touring the Palm Springs CA area. While there, a 41 Cadillac had stopped to make a turn when the car quit running. Thinking possibly he had stalled the car, the driver used the starter but it would not start. Smoke was observed coming out the back of the hood. On opening the hood a small but very intense flame of fire was coming out the side of the ignition coil about an inch fron the top of the coil but through the metal side of the coil. Quick action by the owner in reaching under the front fender and turning the battery disconect switch prevented any further damage. In twenty years of touring, with plenty of flat head Cadillacs on the tours, I have never seen a coil fail in this manner. This was a very well restored 41 which had many tours without any problems. The burned coil was taken off the car and we found a tiny hole had been burned through the side of the coil, probably from an internal short and then the oil in the coil has been ignited helping the fire. I have always been a strong advocate of a battery disconnect switch, even if the car has new wiring. This fire was a great example of why you have a battery disconnect switch, a lever switch mounted on the splach panel behind the right front wheel. Easy to get to in an emergency without raising the hood. Has anyone else experienced a coil failure in this manner?

Wayne Womble

I have seen similar occurences before. I usually use a 12V coil on my 6V cars. I think it works better and there is no need for a resistor which the 6V cars usually dont have. Some modern 6V coils may be designed to use a resistor, I dont know, but if they are it would be pulling a lot of amps. A funny story. A friend has a 46 Dodge. He accidentally left the key on overnight. The hood was up on the car. the next morning the garage was full of black shivers and debris. The coil had exploded, blowing it wide open and the internals were everywhere.

baxter culver #17184

I have seen coils stop functioning (ie making sparks) and the center post turn to mush.  Feels like hot tar.  This was on a 1957 Chevy (restored/rebuilt).  The ballast resister was still functioning but, for some reason, the coil developed internal resistance sufficient to kill it.  A new coil fixed the problem.
I have also seen coils that simply quit.  As in Im tired.  I have not seen or heard of one that failed and started a fire.  When I get my new harness from YNZ, guess Ill put a kill switch in the battery circuit.

Doug Houston

I fully agree on the master switch on everything. There are several places on the car where it could be placed, but Id favor somewhere internal where you can get to it without opening the hood. With an underhood fire, you can be out of luck. I feel that the switch on the firewall, with the handle accessible from inside above the passengers feet is a good place. Its also good and close to the starter and battery, so your cables can be as short as possible.