News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

40 Lasalle Dimensions of tool to determine valve seat height

Started by Geoffrey Wright, February 15, 2006, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffrey Wright

I am looking for information on the dimensions of the special tool required to determine the proper height of the valve seats for my 40 La Salle Engine I am rebuilding.  I would like to install hardened valve seats and the machine shops state they need a tool to detemine the proper height of the valve seat.  I am somewhat familiar with the procedure, in the fact that the proper dimension must be maintained between the cam lobe and the valve stem.  What I am lacking is the proper finished dimension.  I think it is approximately 3 inches, but need the exact dimension for obvious reasons.  I have multiple engines to rebuild in the near future and any help with this information would be appreciated.  I have a shop/service manual and it only references a tool number for determining this clearance.  If the dimension is known it seems a tool could be fabricated.  Any help is welcome.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey Wright

Frank DeCou

The tool is 3.000 in length.  But watch out if you have had the cam or the lifter bodies machined.  The amount machined off should be taken in to account.

Frank DeCou

Scratch the above.  I missread the problem and replyed with the dimensions of the valve setting tool.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

This is still not helping, but the 3 tool is commonly called the J tool. Adding my little bit of sunshine to the day...