News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

34-35-36 LaSalle compatibility

Started by Dave Mikol 10881, February 16, 2006, 05:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Mikol 10881

I seem to be receiving conflicting reports about the rear end compatibility between 35 and either 34 or 36 in LaSalle only.
I want to change the rear gear in my 35 LaSalle and have been told that 34 and 35 were the same. I have also been told that 35 and 36 were the same, but not similar to 1934. Anybody out there who really knows the answer here? Thanks.
I am planning to have a road gearset manufactured for
my 1935 LaSalle. The more we make, the cheaper they are.
I am not selling them, just hiring out the work to a gearmaker and passing exact cost back to all interested. Figure two grand or less if we make several.
Figure cruising at 65 mph without redlining the car!
DAve

Doug Houston

Ive been trying to chase this thing down. Ive read that Cadillac used an Oldsmobile rear axle in the 34-36 LaSalles. I have Cadillac parts books and Oldsmobile books as well. I cant find any commonality between Olds and LaSalle for those 3 years. Now, Im wondering how far Olds axles were carried before changes were made.

In 1941, rear axle ratios came way down because the new superhighways were opening. (The Pa. Turnpike opened in late 1940) My Oldsmobile is a 41 98. The rear axle ratio is 3.42:1. That ratio was used on all Olds 8 cylinder models that year with Hydra-Matic (as mine is). Ive driven the Olds at sustained highway speeds; about 60-65 MPH and it isnt taxing the engine excessively.

Cadillac put 3.36:1 rear ends in the 41 models, either as a no-cost economy option and as standard on Hydra-Matic models. Unfortunately, these differential and carriers cant be installed on previous year Cadillacs or LaSalles.

Im wondering then, if a later Olds axle might bolt in to a LaSalle 34-36 banjo housing. Olds serviced their differentials with individual parts, while Cadillac didnt until about 1970. So, it may be possible to find a GM ring and pinion that could mount in your LaSalle (which is probably what youre checking into now, anyway). We can talk about it at the next CLC meeting, if you wish.