News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

cadillac gas headlights

Started by brad hillhouse, February 18, 2006, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad hillhouse

Hello - I have been enjoying reading through your post/tech board.  I need some help identifying a set of gas headlights and I thought maybe someone out there can help me.  A friend of my grandfathers has a set of gas headlights that he says his father removed from a cadillac in the early 30s.  The cad was in a fairly severe accident and they were salvaging what they could.   He does not remember much except that he is pretty sure that the car was a 1914-1922.  These lights appear to have a nickel type of plating on the outside.  There is a 5/16 or 3/8 nipple on the bottom where the hose attaches that brings in the gas.  He said that the gas was like acetylene.  Is this true?  The lights have a thick concave mirror on the inside that magnifies the light.  The inside are painted a flat black and have the number 1326 in 1/2 inch letter inside.  On the outside of each light there are two 3/8 holes with set screws for mounting.  
Is there any web site with pictures that I can look at to determine what model and years these fit.  Would these have been factory installed or were they added by the owner or body builder?  Even with a beautiful set of lights I AM REALLY IN THE DARK HERE! They will be going on ebay and I would really like to be able to accurately describe what they fit.  ANY HELP would be extremely appreciated.  thanks, Brad

Yann Saunders, 12588

Acetylene gas lights were the norm until electric lighting came into being (thanks to Cadillac) in 1912.  Occasionally such gas lights come up for sale on EBay.  

I know of no Internet source of information on these lamps.  Check pics of pre-1912 Cadillacs with optional lamps in the Cadillac Database.  In some instances you might even see the gas cylinder, mounted on the running board.

brad hillhouse

Yann thanks for the reply.  I have searched out pre 1912 cadillac pictures, most of the ones I find are drawings or black and white.  I have found a few of restored cars but the lights are all shiny brass.  The ones I have are much more silver or nickel type plating.  On the knob that closes the front lens shut it says solak or solar  and the number 1236  Any more ideas?  Maybe these are not originally from a Cadillac?  thanks for the help, Brad