News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Found GM Temperature Switch for Blower on eBay

Started by Dave MacGregor #18998, February 21, 2006, 01:04:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave MacGregor #18998

Hi,

Im not the one selling this part nor do I even know the person sellint the thing, but am very familiar with its function because I had to purchase a couple of years ago from the dealer for a lot more.  It was something around $15 if I remember correctly.  Was told by the dealer at the time it was the last one on their shelf too so I assume its hard to get.

Anyhow, I found one on eBay for those interested in locating one instead of doing the jumper thing some of us have done to bypass defective ones.  You know, the switch that keeps the blower from coming on until the engine is warmed up?

Its at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-GM-TEMP-SWITCH-76-77-78-79-80-81-CADILLAC-IMPALA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33546QQitemZ8039088053QQrdZ1 TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-GM-TEMP-SWITCH-76-77-78-79-80-81-CADILLAC-IMPALA_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcat

Thought Id just pass the word alone for this find.

Wasnt sure if I shouldve posted it here or in the For Sale forum since its not anything of mine.

Later!

Dave

denise 20352

Thanks for the heads up.  I placed a small bid on it.  If someone else needs it, I will be happy to let them outbid me and take it.

Mine is bypassed because the PO either reversed the heads or the switches.  The drivers side head is supposed to have a similar-looking switch that closes at 250 degrees and turns on the key buzzer and hot light.  I saw that the wire was disconnected, so I hooked it up, drove a couple of blocks down the road, and the buzzer and light came on.  Duh...I could have hooked up the other one, and I would have had a blower motor that came on only when the engine was hot, but I just grounded the lead.

-densie

Eric Kahn

would this switch be the reason the blower motor never comes on in my eldorado no matter where I put the control?

joe G 12138

I bought the correct one just last year, right from the Cadillac dealer, for about 15 bucks! The one for the right head is calibrated @ 110 degrees, to turn on the heater.You wont find that aftermarket anywhere; they try to sell you the left hand side metal temp instead. Under normal conditions, your heater will never come on with that one. The part number has been changed from the number used in the 70s, but they are still availible brand new in the new style GM box.They had a sharp parts man at the counter (Crest Cadillac, Brookfield Wisc) and he knew right away what I was talking about. He got the new number and said it would be in the next day. Before going to the dealer, I wasted about a day and a half making phone calls all over the country. I overlooked the obvious; I never checked the Dealer first! I sure couldnt complain about the price, either!

Dave MacGregor #18998

Host likely, Yes.

You can check this out disconnecting the wire from the switch thats located on the right engine head behind the alternator.  Its a little silver colored round thing with one dark wire sticking out of it.  Just run a wire from the connector to any ground and try out the blower.  If it runs, thats your problem.

Its such a simple fix, yet a pain in the neck part to find for some people.  Cant find the part third party from anyone except the dealer.

True, my Cadillac dealer had the part, but was a little unsure what I wanted so he had to pull up the diagram on the computer for me to point it out.  Then he knew right away where it was on the shelf.  I dont blame the parts guy for not knowing right away about finding such a part for a nearly 30 year old car because they dont usually see them everyday and at his age, I doubt he even worked on any as he was in his mid 20s.

Wish you luck with your blower!

Dave

Eric Kahn

You would not still have this part number would you, my local caddy dealer just laughs when I say 76 eldo

Dave MacGregor #18998

The part number is GM # 25036578 and its called a temperature control switch.

denise 20352

I dont think so, because I think it comes on in defrost regardless, but you can test it by grounding the switch.  You can also see if you have volts going to your blower motor.

-denise