News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

PITMAN SHAFT 1938

Started by Mark Hewitt, February 21, 2006, 03:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hewitt

Would a Pitman Shaft for a 1938 Cadillac Steering box built as RIGHT HAND DRIVE be that as the same for a LEFT HAND DRIVE car ?
Also any knowlege of OEMs or part numbers ?. Thanks.

Don Boshara #594

According to the parts book LH & RH drive shafts are different. Would need to know the series to supply the part number, but that would be different than the number on the shaft which would be the manufacturers number.

Mark Hewitt

The car is a 1938-60s .The steering box itself I think could have a number on it which I shall try to identify this weekend.

John #22631

Don,
This may sound crazy and the parts book may be the bible, but... if the Pittman shaft is attached to the steering box and can turn in a 360 degree field, why would it make a difference. The degree field in which it turns covers about 140 degrees left and right. It is seated on the steering box spline in the same fashion as it would if it were LHD. Unless there is a different offset angle for frame clearance, it would seem to me that they would be the same.
I have been known to be wrong before, quite often I might add, but I must ask!!!
John

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

John,

With a Right Hand Steering Box, the Pitman shaft sits on the other side of the worm.

That is, if you look at a LHD box, then imagine a RHD box being excactly reverse, in every way, then you have a RHD box.

It has to mount on the side of the chassis, directly opposite to the LHD box.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV