News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Deville AM FM Radio

Started by Bob Fuller, February 21, 2006, 09:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Fuller

Im searching for a 1968 AM FM radio. Is this model year radio interchagable with other model years having both control knobs on the left side?
Bob Fuller #22055

Lars Kneller 8246

I think it is.  I may have one at home I dont need.  Email me to remind me to look.

Doug Houstonm

The 67 and 68 radios were the same. There was also a AM-FM-Stereo set for those two years. Problem is that the dash pad is different for the stereo set. It had the speaker grilles molded into it. The rear speakers were no problem, as the shelf was punched for them.

Bob Fuller

It would be great if you to sell!
Thanks Lars.
Bob Fuller

Bob Fuller

Thanks for information Doug. Ill keep an eye out for a 1967 radio also.
Bob Fuller

dale jackson 20895

Ihave 1964 fm radio. Is it the same as 1967 or 1968 ?
 thanks dale

Bob Fuller

Im not sure, Ill try to find out. Is yours for sale? Please let me know.
Thanks.
Bob Fuller

Doug Houston

The 63 and 64 radios can be interchanged, but theyre very different from the 67-68 sets.

Its like the 65 and 66 sets can be interchanged, but the first stereo was in 66, so the 66 dash pad is punched for the stereo speakers, but the 65 isnt.

joe G 12138

What was the first year for AM/FM in a Cadillac? I have one that has both controls on the same side as in 65-68. But it also has the two triangles that mark where the Civil Defense emergency radio stations are located. I guess thats so you can find the stations in a hurry when the Russians invade. The knobs are a style quite different than that on my 65, so Im guessing its older than that.

Doug Houston

As far as the beginning of FM sets in Cadillac, Im going to say 63. I had one once, so thats why I think of 63. As I said berlow, that issue cold be clouded by the fact that radios from either year can be in either year car. The model number on the sticker on the radioo tells the true origin of the set. That information is given in the Delco radio manuals, or the service notes (in books) by the Howard W. Sams publishing company.

Now, on the little CD (Civilian Defense) triangles at 640 and 1240 Kilocycles, this was known as Conelrad (Control of electromagnetic radiation) (Whoosh!). It was a scheme where, if an enemy attack came. all AM stations would switch to broadcast on one of these two frequencies. Then, probably controlled by a central point, the stations would come in and go out so that enemy detection equipment could not zero in on any one station. I have heard what date the triangles disappeared, but Ive forgotten. They stayed around for quite a while.

dale jackson 20895

My fm radio . I may sale it someday If I cant use In an 59 or 60 car.  I would like try to find brand new repro am and fm radio I could install In that 60 cadillac. I dont want cut the dash etc or install one the glovebox etc . That would nice If I get an working unit and modern radio for those old cars that looks old but its new inside. No tubes to warm up etc Or transformor on speakers etc.

On ebay custom autosound sale an new unit for 61/62 cadillac for 220 . Its mounts in dash just like factory did. I never seen an 59 or 60 yet. Thats nice etc to have all upgraded stuff becides that old stuff for car.  dale

Andrew 10638

Dougs right, pretty sure its 1963 for FM, and 65 was the first for stereo

Dougton

Nope, 66 was the first Cadillac stereo. You can probably install a 66 stereo set in s 65, but the crash pad isnt punched with knockouts  for the little speakers as the 66 was. I had a 66, and put a stereo in it. I bought the little speaker griles from Cadillac parts, painted and and installed them I later saw a crash pad from a 65, and no speaker holes!  And also, the mounting studs for the power amplifier are probably not in a 65. Its a two piece radio.

And while were on that, a 67-68 stereo set has a different control face than a 66, and the power amp mounts a LOT different than a 66. Ive gone through that mess!

The Delco service bulletins will verify all of this.

Doug Houston

Nope, 66 was the first Cadillac stereo. You can probably install a 66 stereo set in s 65, but the crash pad isnt punched with knockouts  for the little speakers as the 66 was. I had a 66, and put a stereo in it. I bought the little speaker griles from Cadillac parts, painted and and installed them I later saw a crash pad from a 65, and no speaker holes!  And also, the mounting studs for the power amplifier are probably in a 65. Its a two piece radio.

And while were on that, a 67-68 stereo set has a different control face than a 66, and the power amp mounts a LOT different than a 66. Ive gone through that mess!

The Delco service bulletins will verify all of this.

Andrew 10638

Proves you shouldnt rely on memory alone.  Thanks for the correction

Doug Houston