News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Decals

Started by larry pitts #16625, February 23, 2006, 04:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry pitts #16625

Where can I buy engine compartment decals for a 1950 Cadillac? Thankyou

Porter 21919

P W Allen CLC#20193

Larry,

Try these guys. I bought several decals for my 53 from them. Nice people too.

http://www.coopersvintage.com/index.html TARGET=_blank>http://www.coopersvintage.com/index.html

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

I do not know how good they are, but McVeys also offers a decal package for most old Cadillacs.  The new catalog just came out (photocopies and stapled with missing items from last time).  Now where am I going to find the gold letters with the posts intact for the trunk lid?  sigh.

Jerry CLC #14369

USA Parts Supply Ltd(www.usapartssupply.com)has a good selection.
Go online or Call (703) 335-1935 for a FREE Catalog.

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Hi Randall!
Im not 100percentsure but I had probably the same problem. If the letters are still good looking, take a brass rod of suitable diameter, braze it on a brass plate and glue that assembly to the back of the letter. The recess in the back of the letter allows that repair.
I could do that for you; however, its not very practical: im located in Switzerland...
Good luck,
Roger

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

Hi Roger!  

That is a great idea!  Thank you.  What kind of tools would I need for that?  My son has a welder at home that might work should I need it.  Anyway, I will do something along those lines to keep them on.  The mastic was a bad idea.  Thank goodness I realized I had lost one in the car wash!

THanks again.

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Hi Randall!

If I do imagine how I would do that : take a bit of brass in sheet (as Im doing automobile models from scratch, I have plenty of it) about .8 or 1 mm thick (about .03 to .4 inch thick), do one or 2 holes as needed into it of the same diameter as the original pin, which is again about .04 inch, take the rod of brass of the same diameter, insert into the hole and braze it. Then, a good glue is needed to fix that frame to the letter. You see, there is a minimum of tools needed, but you must not be afraid to work with small drills. Im not; in my models I have screws as small as .024 inches (.6 mm). To be honest, Im not doing a lot of models: the first one I did in 1963 to 1965, a 63 Studebaker Avanti is again in the works since my early retirement for 3 years. It will need 3 more years to be completed. The other model I did, a 66 Oldsmobile Toronado, needed about 20 years to be completed...The scale for both models is 1:12.

Car wash: I never use these barbare machines to clean my Cadillacs!

Enjoy your Sunday,
Roger

Ed Dougher

I would also recommend Osborn.  My experience has been that most of the other vendors get their decals from there and mark the price up.  Also, you can buy the decals individually from Osborn.  Ive seen other vendors package them up as a set, some of them incorrect, mark them way up, and sell them only as a package for a particular car.

Be careful out there!