News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

engine problem, opinions needed

Started by denise 20352, February 24, 2006, 07:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

http://www.americansoapbox.org/chrysler/piston.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://www.americansoapbox.org/chrysler/piston.jpg
http://www.americansoapbox.org/chrysler/head.jpg TARGET=_blank>http://www.americansoapbox.org/chrysler/head.jpg

Check out the #3 cylinder.  The top of the piston looks white.  The inside of the head chamber is all clean.  I didnt clean it, it was that way when it came apart.

Do I have coolant leaking into the cylinder and washing it, or was there debris in there bouncing around?  I cant really tell, with the piston still in there, whether the top is peened or corroded, but maybe someone has seen this before.

-d

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Densie,

Looks to me like the result of water washing the carbon off, but hard to see the "dents" in the piston top.

What was the Head Gasket like when you pullet it apart?

What was the compression on No. 3?, compared with the rest?

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

densie

I looked at the piston top with a flashlight.  Its peened.  My suspicions that someone dropped junk into the air cleaner have been confirmed.

-densie

John #22631

Hi Denise,
Its hard to be conclusive by the pictures. However, take a good close look at the head gasket if it came apart intact. Look for any irregularities in the steel ring that makes up the piston bore seal. Even the slightest nick could let in foreign material. Next, look for any type of deterioration in the water jacket sealing edges.
Do you see clean, shiny indentations on the piston dome? How about the valves or the concave section of the head. Even a gap difference on the spark plug could possibly indicate an introduction of foreign matter into the combustion chamber.
It appears too clean, and coolant would not do that. Something very small got in there.
Did you tear down both sides? If so what did the other side look like?
This will be interesting,as a 440 is built like a 472. Hard to break.
John

John #22631

Denise,
If you ever have the muffler replaced, save the old one and disect it. Ill bet you will find the culprit in the baffles.
John

denise

I guess it would probably be stuck in the catalytic convertor, if it wasnt completely destroyed.  I already know where it came from, though.  I found some junk in the air cleaner, not anything that came from the car, but stuff that had been in a junk bin behind my house.  Someone just opened up the top and threw a handful of junk into it.  Since the bin is behind the house in a fenced yard, I know that this was an "inside job".

Its hard to believe that a 14-year-old girl would do this, and her father will never believe it, but she was the only one who could have.  There was also a valuable possession of mine inside the house that was vandalized, when she was the only one here.  No doubt.  And just a couple of days ago, a board with a nail sticking up was placed behind a wheel of my hearse.  Fortunately, I saw it in time.  I wonder where all of this is going to end.

Tony has been asking me if I found something inside the engine, and as soon as he wakes up, I get to break the news to him.  I dont think he expected me to find anything.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about having kids is, dont do it.  Theyre difficult when theyre young, and they become progressively more so as they get older.  Its a rude shock, when theyre teenagers, to see them acting one way in front of you, then you overhear them talking to their friends about doing perverted things, or you catch them in a bold lie.  You suddenly realize that there is a totally different person in there than the one you see every day.

-d

John #22631

Im glad I had the child problem taken care of when I was 18. Snip Snip. My wife too! We both are non likers of children. We even go to the Early Bird dinners to avoid the brats with parents that dont have a clue what child rearing is all about. If Im this bad at 48, God help the world when I hit 70. ;)

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Densie,

You could always send her over to China.

"Youthinasia" is trying to gain populatity around here.

Bear with it, they get better at around 30 years of age.

But, getting bare with it was what got you into trouble in the first place, nearly 15 years ago, ha ha.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

denise 20352

Actually, shes a step kid.  Ive had her since she was six years old.  Ive heard that its easier when theyre your own, which is probably true because it couldnt be any harder!  ;)

Ah well, this one is smart, and shell probably go to a good school on a scholarship.   My worst nightmare is that shell come back knocking on the door with a screaming baby in one hand and a restraining order in the other, but Tony says that shell come back with a degree instead.

-d

denise 20352

I hate children too.  I just didnt realize how much until recently.  One day, we will be able to travel, or just have some peace and quiet at home.  Maybe four more years.  I can probably handle it.

-d

Rhino 21150

There is a sign in my bank branch that gets me everytime.
"Unattended children wil be given an espresso, a snickers bar and a muddy puppy to take home"

JIM CLC # 15000

02-24-06
Denise, Time to talk-up AN ARMY OF ONE, Find something good about it and keep it in the fore-front at all times. Never can tell what the OCS can produce.
Good luck, Jim

Fred Garfield 22310

>>acting one way in front of you, then you overhear them talking to their friends about doing perverted things<<

Ah, the "Eddie Haskell" syndrome. But in your case, it sounds like you may have a little psychopath on your hands. Also sounds like shes got Daddy snowed. Best outcome is that shell find someone else to torture when she goes away to school.

denise 20352

At this point, Im just looking for a reason to send her off to boarding school.  Anybody know how to tap a phone, in your own house?

As Im getting further into the engine, I see that at least three pistons were damaged, two of them severely.   There isnt any way that this happened by accident...a whole handful of junk was tossed into it, and I wasnt doing any work on the car when it happened.

Ive also found that the engine still has the fiber timing gear in it, the rod bearings are still smooth and shiny, and there isnt any ridge on the cylinders.  It is possible that it is the original engine, with 60k miles on it.  Im not sure why the compression read so low...maybe my gauge is bad, or cylinders just got glazed.  I expected to see the rings stuck in the pistons, but they werent.  Maybe I wont need any machine work, just new pistons.  Maybe even standard pistons.  Maybe 10:1 pistons, just for fun.

-d

Rhino 21150

To tap a phone: Radio Shack makes a device that you can connect to the phone line anywhere in the house and it will record any extension on the same line. Its $25 and you need a cheap cassette to connect it to. One with an external mike jack and a remote start stop jack. Oddly, Radio Shack sells these too! They are always in stock. The whole mess just plugs into an extension jack. Ive had one for years. I had a TV show that put the pictures of wanted criminals and child molesters out there for the world to see. They would call me up and threaten my life. I would laugh and put their tape on the air the next show! Gauranteed to get them caught!
Good golly, I dont doubt you have the skills to add an extension jack if you need to.
As for the loss of compression, do another inspection. Piston(s) may be hairlined or the trash may have gotten stuck in a valve at least temporarily.

John #22631

Be careful on that wiretap stuff. Most states have laws on the books that can get you in pretty hot water. Especially if the wrong party finds out they have been tapped.

Hell hath no fury like that of a vengeful teenager!!!!!!
John