News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 Mirrors

Started by Devin, February 27, 2006, 09:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devin

Is there a way to repair the pivot bar in the outside remote mirrors? I have one that broke the end off the bar but the crome and everything else about the mirror is perfect.
Also my passenger mirror is very shaky and moves around while you are driving but everything looks good nothing broken

Lars Kneller 8246

Im not sure what you mean by the pivot bar.  You can take the mirror out by tilting the mirror upward and unscrewing the screw revealed underneath. With the mirror out, you can tighten up the screw that holds the rectangular part to its base.

Devin

The mirror head is solid the problem I am having is with the glass shaking and moving at random. The bar is on the back og the mount for the glass and allows the mirror to pivot up and down. It is a small potmetal bar about 1 long

Devin

I take it no one here knows anything about repairing the remote mirrors on a 76 Cadillac?

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Well, cant say that I have had to repair any, but if it is a remove control mirror, then either one of the cables has broken, or come away from its locating lug.

I have converted the cables from side to side when doing RHD conversions, and it was just a matter of pulling it to pieces, and replacing the adjusting cable inners and outers with the other side.

Got to be careful that one doesnt snap the diecast lugs when easing off the pressure.

If just the mirror glass is loose within the holder, then it might be a case of a bit of silicone adhesive to keep it tight.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Devin

Thanks
The cables appear to be intact but the passenger mirror shakes when I drive and also moves on its own I have to continuously readjust it when I drive.
On the driver side mirror there is a small pot metal bar that allows the mirror to pivot up and down. It is broken but that cables also seem to be intact

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Devin,

The cables have to be tight, and there is a spring in the mechanism to keep everything tight.

Having broken parts within the mechanism is definately going to cause the looseness you describe, so I fear that you might be in need of total replacement of both mirrors and cable assemblies.

If only you are the driver, then it would be possible, to once the mirrors are in position, squirt some silicone in the back so that the mirror can be simply held in position for all time.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

Dave MacGregor #18998

Not sure of the metal post youre talking about, but then I have a 77.

The passenger mirror on my car was very loose in holding adjustment and shook a lot when driving.  What I found on that one was philips screw on the back of the thing near where the cables attached.  I reached in with a right angle screwdriver and tightned it.  Hard and awkward to do, but it worked.  The other philips I saw was the housing to its pedestal.  Made sure that was tightened too and it was.

Bob Hoffmann CLC #96

Once there is a break in the cable adjusters, they are unfixable. The looseness is another issue. Each door has a metal tab inside on the verticle door frame near the top. The cable housing MUST be tucked into that tab, otherwise the mirror will do what your RH mirror is doing. I may have a good used LH mirror available. Email me directly. HTH, Bob

Devin

Thanks I will check on the cable routing.
Can the adjuster cables be removed from the back of the mirror to only replace the swivel mount.
Has anyone attempted a retrofit of a newer style electric adjustable mirror to the old housing