News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Series 62 Kick Panel Replacement

Started by Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963, March 01, 2006, 04:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

Anyone know how to remake or where to find the kick panels in a 1956 sedan?
Mine were painted a medium blue/grey with heater vents and have been kicked breaking them.  Initially I was thinking of painting them and keeping the originals until I saw one had been damaged.  

Any ideas?

Roger A. Zimmermann #21015

Do you mean just the pot metal part (or grille)? I have 2 used parts on stock; but, considering the price to send them to the USA, its better for you to look in you own country!

Roger

Randall A. McGrew CLC # 17963

No, I was looking for the card board panel that the heater grill is mounted to.  It looks like masonite or something really. I could remove one, use it as a template and see just how tough it is to reproduce.  I just thought I would ask first.  Save a little trouble if I can.  :)

Rhino 21150

The panel probably is masonite. I have made a number of panels for several makes using the stuff I could buy at the lumber yard. I remember the days before the Home Despot. Use the broken piece as a pattern, cut the masonite with a coping saw or superfine metal cutting blade in a  jigsaw. Roto-zip tools work great.
Its a bit of effort but worth the trouble to re-use the original covering. Glues in cartridges substitute nicely for staples. Urethane glues hold amazingly well.
My Econoline pickup had a masonite and vinyl headliner. The most bizarre pattern I could find at the local fabric shop. Furniture vinyl. Zowie! Really kept down the drumming noise of the tin roof.

Randall A. McGrew CLC# 17963

Rhino, That is not a bad idea!  Mine are painted the light grey/blue that the rest of the accents are painted.  No problem there. I just have to cut the appropriate hole for the heating vent.  Also no big deal.  Thanks!