News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Allante Questions

Started by brian rachlin, February 26, 2006, 05:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian rachlin

I took a ride to check an Allante for sale today.  Its a 93 with the Northstar, and the price is right, but there are a few funky things on the car, so I am looking for a little advice.

1.  Car would crank, but not start.  It has been sitting for 2 years, not driven, but is supposed to be in running shape.  It cranks, will run for a few seconds on starting fluid, but obviously is not getting fuel.  I hear nothing running when the key is switched on, and the fuel pump should hum, click, or something.  The fuel gauge reads full.  It could be the pump, crud, frozen, etc, but................The security system armed dash indicator stays on, even after unlocking the door with the correct key.  Can the security system shut down the fuel delivery?

2.  It has a cracked lower front valence.  Is this an expensive part?

3.  The chrome insert in the front bumper is missing, but a new one comes with the car.  It has not been installed because the headlight washer on the passenger side is missing, and it goes on first.  Is that hard to get?

Any advice appreciated, and general Allante tips or things to check would be helpful.

Its a solid car, needs a good cleaning/detailing, and a few minor repairs (I think), but its priced under $10K, which is pretty cheap.

Of course, if he cant get it started, I am not willing to take a chance.

Thanks,

Brian

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Gday Brian,

As far as the fuel pump not running when the ignition is turned on, I have foung in a lot of cars that this is normal in a Fuel Injeted car.

What usually happens is that the fuel pump will only work during the cranking cycle, and stay on whilst the engine is physically running.

I had a problem with a Volvo many years ago, when it was allowed to run out of fuel.   To prime the pump and injectors, we had to trick the electrics into believing that it was running, and boy, that took us a while to figure out.   Without a workshop manual, it nearly had us stumped.

Maybe this car had run out of fuel, and simply been topped up, because it wouldnt start.

The in-tank pump has to prime the system.

The other thing might be to disconnect the fuel filter, and crank it over and see if fuel is coming out the line.   May be a crudded filter, or even blocked injectors.

As far as the other questions, I am afraid that I cannot answer them for you.

But, seeing as it hasnt been running for a couple of years, and is Electronic Injected, then there could be more difficult problems to solve.

Might pay to have a chat to Mike Jones, up in Kitchener, Canada.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

P.S.   If you can get it started, dont tell the seller, as you will have a good bargaining chip if it wont start for him.

Mike #19861

I am not terribly well versed on the Allante, but have some experience with them. There are specific electrics on parts of this car, but I dont feel the engine management system is any differant than say an Eldorado.

It is possible that the theft deterrent system can be part of the problem, one of the paramters being that it shut down the fuel pump. But since the car will run on starting fluid (not recommended to do this), at least the ignition system is functioning.

Usually there is a fuel pump test breakout lead in the engine compartment that when you apply 12V to it will power the pump directly, but Im doubtful if this car will use one.

Preliminary checks would be fuses and relays. Fuses are easy to check, relays more involved.

Access to the shop manual would be of great help here, and an absolute necessity if you own the car and plan on doing any service to it at all yourself.

I cant be of help on replacing the chrome strip on the bumper. Normally this is a body shop issue.

But beware, parts for these cars are fast becoming obsolete, and when they are available, are extremely expensive. Membership in the Allante Owners Group would be a very good idea if you purchase the car. They do have electrics exclusive to this car that are manufactured by Marello, the Italian counterpart to Lucas. They can be trouble prone and very expensive to repair. These cars are kind of like the modern equivilant of a 1959-60 Eldorado Brougham.

Mike

brian rachlin

Thanks for the suggestions.  They guy is having his mechanic flatbed the car to his shop as they think the fuel pump is bad.

I will let you know what happens...

Thanks,

Brian