News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Estimate for an Interior for a 38

Started by Bill Gauch, March 02, 2006, 02:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gauch

Im looking for a cost estimate for a total interior restoration for my 1938 series 65. I have all the physical hardware intact, so Im just looking for prices for new carpet, headliner, upholstry, door panels and anything else soft. I havent seen any kits available, but if anyone knows of any, please let me know. Otherwise, I will probably have to have it custom made. (Or get the wife to make it. A $2000 sewing machine should be good for something, right?) I would be going for an original style interior, if that helps.

Doug Houston

It will depend on your location. If you are in or near a big metropolitan area, there may be several choices. You will need a recommendation from a reliable person, otherwise, Heaven only knows what youll end up with.

Tell where you are, and possibly someone can point you in the right direction. Lots of luck. You have a great car!

Bill Gauch

I am in the Southern-New England area. RI, MA and CT would probably be do-able when I get to the interior. Right now, I am just looking for an estimate to budget for it.

Barry Wheeler #2189

Lars Kneller directed us to a site that does his seats. They can do broadcloth, and the cost minus headliner that I came up with was $1875. Now you would have to contact them to see if they could do it in the pattern that your old door panels and seats would provide. Rummage around in the previous posts... I think this one was entitled leather something. Then, you would have to have your wife re-install the seats for you. Hope this helps. I bought one of the professional Singer sewing machines from my tailor shop when Richman Brothers went out of business in 1992. Ive never tried using it, but I may buy some broadcloth and try doing it myself one of these days. Still have a brand new full box of tailors chalk as well...

Bill Sullivan

I suggest you call Hampton Coach, http://www.hamptoncoach.com TARGET=_blank>www.hamptoncoach.com , they are nearby in New Hampshire.  They have the materials and some kits, though I doubt if they will have one for your model 65.

They quoted a kit for my 40 LaSalle coupe at around $3500 if I recall, not including carpet.  I decided that I would just buy the materials and do the upholstery myself, I do have an industrial sewing machine that is well suited for the job.  Fortunately, I have a worn but complete original interior to copy.

I bought a kit from them about 15 years ago for my 40 Chevrolet coupe.  It was very well made and fit perfectly.  Though it is still a lot of work to install a kit and have it look right.  I think it was about $1200 back then.....

Good luck
Bill.

Dave Leger CLC #19256

I used Hampton for my fabrics, windlace, and had them redo my assist straps, Hirsh for carpet, and hired a local guy to do the work.  I spent about $1500 on fabric, I think around $150 on windlace, around $120 on the assist straps, $500 on carpet, and $1500 on labor (cash deal, $1800 if Id written a check).  I didnt re-do the headliner or visors.  The upholsterer provided edging and material to re-do the scuff plates under the dash.

Dave