News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

pressing piston pins

Started by denise 20352, March 03, 2006, 08:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

denise 20352

Can I do the job with a 12-ton shop press, or should I have a machine shop do it?

Im attempting to justify spending $140 at Harbor Freight.

-d

JIM CLC # 15000

03-03-06
Denise, You may want to consult an engine machinist. I redid a flat-head and the piston-pins were tapered.
HTH
Good Luck, Jim

Jack Hoffman #7042

If you are trying to assemble the pin into the rod,an auto machine will have a special heater to heat the small end of the rod so that the pin can be easily pushed into the piston and thru the rod end.

denise 20352

Do they also remove the pin that way, putting heat on it while it is in the old piston?

Jack Hoffman #7042

From what I have seen the old pin is just pressed out of the piston. Usually the disassembly means that the rod will be used in a new assembly and possible piston damage is not a concern.
Also, it is difficult to correctly heat the small rod end when it is up in the piston.

denise 20352

Well, I was all set to take them to the machine shop when I got a reply from an old-timer who had always cold pressed his pistons.  So I tried it on a couple of old pistons to see if it could be done, and it was no problem at all.  The skirts on these Speed-Pro pistons were made such that I could put them on a wood block and support them around the pin hole, and I used soft pine so that I could drive the pin down a little past the hole and get it centered.  As a lubricant, I used LPS1.

They had the little press on sale for $110, so I couldnt resist.

-densie

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Densie,

Also, you could also use the press for a bit of thumb-screwing of the pest?

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

densie

I wasnt even gonna go there...at least, not in this forum.  ;)

-densie

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Cmon Densie,

There is no pleasure without pain, especially when it comes to someone elses pain.  Ha ha.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV