News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 stubborn rear brake drums

Started by Joe Meneghin 22407, March 09, 2006, 09:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Meneghin 22407

Ok, big damn hammer and alot of PB blaster is not working here, any suggestions?

Geoff Newcombe #4719

:-)  Parking brake off?  Try loosening the shoes with the star wheel if you can rotate the drum to line it up with the slot.

Jerry

You need some heat (acetylene torches), a slide-type hammer, a strong friend when you start to get tired and you should be able to get them off.  In 25 years never had a drum that I couldnt get removed no matter if the car sat for 35 years in a junkyard!!!

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Sounds like it needs an even Bigger hammer, and less of the PB Blaster.
, or any other lubricant for that matter will cause the tight hub to slip back into place, as soon as each hammer stroke has been applied.   It needs to be dry in that area so it can grip in a new spot as it starts to come off.

Plus, you have to use the hammer in a fashion so that the centre hole is allowed to release its grip on the register on the axle hub.

No good trying to lever it off as this will only succeed in tightening the grip on the hub of the axle.

Whacking is the way to go.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

art woody

Apply heat with a torch to drum around the edge of the axle, even a propane torch will do. I bet you wont need a hammer, most times you will hear it pop when it releases. Try not to heat the axle, it should only take a few seconds. You might want to have a spray bottle of h20 handy to cool axle immediately to prevent bearing/seal damage. (Make sure your brake shoes are free before you try this of course).

Bill Gauch

How about a wheel puller. I picked up a cheap one for $10 at a local chain of discount stores when I needed to change the brakes on a 1963 Rambler. I couldnt seem to get the adjusters to turn much, and I also couldnt tell if they were even moving the right way. A really nice groove had build up on the inside holding the drums on. I tried everything I could to get them off, to no avail. I got the puller, threw it on the edges of the drum (just barely) and screwed down the center part. A few good turns and it just popped right off. It probably wouldnt have been the best if I had wanted to keep the shoes, but I had to replace almost all of the brake system on the car.  I would definitely keep away from the PB though. I wouldnt want to try to stop a really heavy car with oil impregnated steel.

denise 20352

First you have to figure out whats holding it, rusty drum, or shoes?  If the drum starts to move but then snaps back on when you let go if it, then the shoes are holding it, and you have to get in there and try to adjust them down.  If it wont budge at all, then its stuck on the flange, and the heating and beating methods have to be used.

I once knocked all of the lug studs out by screwing the nuts on and using a BFH.  Without the studs in, it was easier to get leverage to pull back on it and tap it with a hammer.

-d