News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Is this 1970 Coupe deVille by Dunham?

Started by Rich Sullivan CLC #11473, March 09, 2006, 11:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

This car offered on e-bay is represented as modified by Dunham:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-CADILLAC-COUPE-DE-VILLE-ORIGINAL-OWNER-MINT_W0QQitemZ4620380937QQcategoryZ6146QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting TARGET=_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-CADILLAC-COUPE-DE-VILLE-ORIGINAL-OWNER-MINT_W0QQitemZ4620380937QQcate

The car appears quite well preserved. The Cadillac data-base mentions that Dunham modified 1970 DeVille Convertible for Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis--as one of the firms final custom vehicles. Does anyone know if it had some of these elements (it is not described)?

The elk-grain roof was not offered until newer model years and the opera lamps shown on it were first offered in 1971 (although possible since it says purchased in August 1970).  The Vogue Tyres definitely are newer than 1970. However, my 1971 Eldorado was delivered new with "Landau Tires" (featuring a Greek pattern motif white sidewall design) and the exchange included "five Landau Tires" (thus including the spare, which I still have). Those were a dealer installed option, and they seldom turn up anywhere now. Im just curious about the car, because of my interest in what Derham did during the sixties and later to modify Cadillacs. There is not any "Derham" label shown in the ad photos.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Just re-read my post and realized the ad says "Dunham" and I was thinking of "Derham" of Philadelphia area. Maybe there was a "Dunham" coach, and Im not knowledgeable of it?

Yann Saunders

Confusion... confusion... confusion...

You are referring to THREE different coach-builders/customizers:  (1) Burke of PA [the Jackie O. car], (2) Les Dunham of Dunham Coach, Boontown, NJ [the eBay car] and Derham of Rosemont who definitely had no hand in this car.

IMO, its clearly a Dunham-modified car, as stated. And its actually quite tastefully done ...if you like the "pimped-up" look.  Certainly far less gawdy than a couple of other Dunham-modified cars on the same page.

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Yann, thank you for setting me straight about this. I had posted the first message thinking it was a reference to the Derham of Rosemont firm, and then soon recognized my confusion! These after-manufacturer modifications are all interesting, nonetheless.

Ed Dougher

Interesting.... The opera lamps are the same pieces that the factory used on my 79 Coupe de Ville.  Were they using the same part that far back?  I guess its possible.