News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

99 Deville Trans Question

Started by Sue 5125, March 07, 2006, 11:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue 5125

A coworker has a 1999 Deville with 145k on a Northstar.  He is having a problem with his transmission on cold mornings.  

If he parks the car outside and it is cold (20s or so) the transmission slips when he is trying to put it in reverse.  This isnt a problem once the car warms up, if the car is parked in a garage overnight or the temperature is warmer.  Does anyone have experience with this problem?  (other than telling him to make sure he parks in the garage or back the car in the night before)

The local dealer quoted about $6000 for a rebuild!!! (Ouch)

Kevin 20216

My 99 Deville developed a very similar problem at about 40,000 miles.  When I would shift into reverse, it seemed to take too long to engage.  I took it to Superior in Flint and they had it for about three weeks.  They said it had a bad valve and a burnt band.  Ive put about 40,000 more miles on it with no trans. trouble since.

Rob Bruining CLC #12428

Do you remember what you paid for the repairs? Why did they need it for 3 weeks? That seems like a long time.

Kevin 20216

I had the bumper to bumper extended warranty so it was covered with a $50 deductible.  They said they were waiting for a part.  I didnt mind, I was driving an 04 loaner Deville.