News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Whats Best Way to chop up and destroy an Vintage 60 cadillac

Started by dale jackson 20895, March 07, 2006, 11:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dale jackson 20895

I am geting an 1960 fleetwood rust bucket with no title. If not worth fixing. I am destroy It since I need brakes, trans, inners fenders, bolts, wiring etc from car build my eldo. I am trading my 1976 cadillac wrecked In front thats runs and drives for parts.

It would cost maybe 150 dollers wrecker fee to haul it off to be sold for scrap metal . I dont have forklifht etc to load in an trailer etc . I need cut car In small parts where I could load by hand etc On trailer to dispose Of it since I dont want an body shell Or frame In my house etc. That I cant get rid without wrecker etc.

I do have an saz saw , and grinder etc. I do have torch But I need have filled with gas. Its takes lots gas to burn metal etc . I was thinking I would burn maybe 10 bottles etc of gas to cut this car up where I can move it . These days gas is very expensive etc At the cost 30 for small bottle. I dont have plasma cutter and I cant affford pay 2000 for an tool.

So what is best to cut the body shell and frame etc where It can loaded by hand since It weighs maybe 4000 pounds etc. I have trailer where I moves it parts my locol scrap metal recycle and sell by the pound  etc. I never did this before.

I will try save any good parts etc from car where peaple rebuilding those cars will have parts etc.

Any ideas ?????????????????? Dale

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Geez Dale,

If you use up that much Oxy and acetelene cutting up a car, then you really need to change jobs.

When I cut up a car, I hacksaw through the pillars where there are multiple layers, like the windscreen posts, then the axe from the wood heap does the rest.

The doors get taken off at the hinges, and same as the hood and trunk, and fenders are unbolted.

Where the sills and floor are, the oxy does the sills, and the axe across the floor through the middle.

Then, through the centre of the firewall, using the oxy and the axe, then down through the tailshaft tunnel with the axe.

I cut it up into maneagable sizes that can be lifted or dragged onto trhe trailer by one man (me), and cart it all off to the tip, or, in your case, to the recycler.

As far as the Chassis goes, well, the Oxy does the trick there as the metal is too tough for the axe.

Bruce,
The Tassie devil(le),
60 CDV

JIM CLC # 15000

03-08-06
DALE, I think you are passing-up a good chance to make some $$$$(read those$$ as money.
Haul the body off to a spot where you can have people smash-it for a fee.( LABEL IT A GAS HOG ,They will pay folding money to take a few wacks at it) After it is beaten to a bloody-pulp, take it to and sell it to the metal recycling yard. They dont care if its banged-up or not.
Good Luck, Bruce has some good ideas, JIM

Joe Meneghin 22407

Im going to have to dispose of whats left after I use the parts I need.   Ill use a panle cutter on the body and frame as well as a saws all.

dale jackson 20895

I cut of rear clip  off with eltrice saw and wrecking ball they use for home repairs. My first cadillac I ever cut the clip Off. It so rusted pieces falling over the place.  It like dirt but its rust . This car has bondo maybe 2 inches thick all over it.

It was last driven 1990 in state Of lioanna. Good thing about rust bucket is. I geting the parts I need such all missing parts etc from it. I was tons bolts brake lines, Lickages, inner fender parts trans, tons little stuff , my ac system was missing, with trans, vin tag, under dash parts etc.

I dont play guess game any more and try figure stuff etc . I was so happy etc I got this as trade and I did not have pay an dime for it etc. I paid 250 for 1976 cadillac traded as even swap.

Thanks to joe arthany the cadillac the Restore guy In joshson city texas. He an angal man. His guys drove 300 miles to give me his 1960 fleetwood. He must have paid them good money etc for that. Joe even spent money puting 4 used tires before He gave to me. Dont know what to say but I looked for 3 years In south texas for parts car like I have. Its something I needed so bad etc.

Thanks joe for help and support etc On my 1960 eldo.

My search is over for parts after an long three years off looking etc.
 Dale

denise 20352

Do you have an engine hoist?  You can pull the fenders, doors, seats and core support out by hand.  You might need a hoist for the hood and deck lid, or a helper.  The body will probably come off with an engine hoist, or you can cut it up with a Sawzall(tm) and take it out in pieces.  Just cut around the moint points, dont waste your time unbolting them.

For the engine and transmission, just hook up your hoist, cut through the mounts and anything else that might be hanging onto it with a torch and pull it right out (but dont cut through fuel lines with a torch, use a tubing cutter).

You can pick up the frame with a hoist to pull the wheels off, one end of the car at a time, and not have to mess with jacking it up.  The frame and suspension, you can cut up into bite-sized chunks with a torch.  The gas tank, drag it into your neighbors yard and turn it upside down to drain it, then youll be able to lift it.

On second thought, dispose of the fuel in a manner acceptable to your local god and government.

You should be able to do the whole thing with one tank refill and a few Sawzall(tm) blades.

-denise

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Geez Densie,

Using an axe keeps one fit as well.  

The Sawzall(TM) polutes the atmosphere too much.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

dale jackson 20895

Densise,

Your correct about the bolt that attach floor to car. They rusted and cant come looose. This car bad etc and floors etc are like dust or dirt etc.

I worked non stop today On car. I removed all reveal molding and removed winsheild etc from car. I got my saw and cut roof right down the center and cut winsheild post etc. The roof In half section can be moved easy The hard part was cuting thru braces etc in roof. The roof is off car , Hood gone also, rear clip gone. The reveal trim was hard since those srews were rusted etc.

I dont have worry about gas tanks etc since they removed already. That winsheild I afraid off breaking into parts etc and geting glass all over place when pushed it with my feet. I was luckey I got it without coming apart etc.

I had no helpers and had do this all by self all day. Hood I was luckey since It had no bolts etc on it . Car self  it looks strange with no roof no fins or truck floor. I tryed go fast I could but I to tired etc tonight.

I was thinking I need remove carpet doors, deck lid etc from car. I will need label each wire in doors, seats etc and leave front clip and  dash ,engine stuff alone intill Need it for my eldo.

Reason I thinking that was I need hoist etc and need start geting other car ready to start moving parts like wiring , dash parts collum stuff brakes etc brackets etc.

I need have an front clip at body shop to paint it insides where I start replacing bolts with new bolts geting parts ready to start installing on my 60 eldo. I need keep my parts car tothethor aslong I can where use look it at etc where I tranfer parts over to my car One part at an time Intill its running and driving where I can drive it on trailer to have painted and finish bodywork etc.

I wish I had helper to help me where we finished faster etc. Its hard for one person do this hard work. On top that I need have parts on hand etc like rebuilt starters , brake boosters, glass, parts ready to go at an given time to be installed at any time on car .

I guess I need clean up the mess and start going parts and sending to replate shops, rebuild shops, . Its good thing some parts I have an overstock etc of them parts. I can send part to be done and and dont have remove an part etc. I need start throwing parts on ebay etc to keep money coming in to buy parts etc from supplies.

If get an system going etc. I get finished faster becides taking 6 monlths to get car at bodyshop and interior shop. I got an lot down today by working non stop to day. I hope I can find time to start flooding ebay with parts and buyig parts at same time. I know I going have delays etc from parts guys like with my top frame problem.

Its super hard but not as bad when I had destoy an 40 lane bowling center In houston. We gutted to bare shell In like  two weeks time. we destoyed 40 machices , 40 bowling lanes , the under stucture , wiring, snack bar the intire building. I was working like 80 to 90 hours week doing that. I worked 40 hours there and 40 hours at my home center intill we done. Try taking part 40 machices half size Of car. I guess this cadillac Is supersmall bowling center etc. I had helpers with bolwing center. I may get luckey etc and get an helper etc with cadillacs I hope.

Have fun, I need sleep relax etc before I go back to work the next day. Dale

denise 20352

Using an axe would leave me stuck in a chair drawing disability.  I managed to screw up my shoulder again yesterday just lifting the 5-gallon buckets of kerosene to fill my parts washer.

I had to use Mr. Crane to remove the seats and doors from my Deville and put them in the truck to haul away, but fortunately he enjoys that sort of work.  The actual answer to the question is to use a Mr. Crane and have him do all of the work of parting out the car, but I know that not everyone has one, so I suggested an engine hoist.  ;)

-densie

dale jackson 20895

Trust me I know That front front seat is so heavy. It was unbolted etc from car when I got it. I been fighting it etc In car . I cant use in my eldo since It 4 door sedan seat. I may saw it in little pieces to get out of car or see If take part into two peices In the car still. I did remove all carpet etc to day and cleaned mess I made etc from Insulation etc broken glass rust etc all in floors etc. Its looks Like I not get going any floor pan parts etc from car to help patch my. They bad rusted . Funny when open or close an door etc rust junks etc fall to ground etc.

I did  get an complete power vent system, Genator cooling system, all stuff from dash forward , All brakes lines , trans etc, 6 way power seats etc , intire underhood ac system, correct 3 way mirror for fleetwwod and eldo. Right hand mirror door for template where It can cut In right spot etc just like factory.  Those parts are expensive and hard to find on ebay.

I did not get any good sheetmetal, Or two door door guts rods etc, or decklid moters. Its look like I cant use wiring In car since sliced up under dash and rear tail section wiring is trash etc.

I may see what I salvage from car etc and go thru my extra parts etc and sale more parts on ebay to try buy an secord parts car or rust free sheetnetal etc. I cant complain to bad about this fleetwwod since has lots rare options etc I needed or wanted . I luckey to get after 3 years Of lokkingf and wishing etc. You cant get all in one hit since there junk salvage parts car. I got lot nice parts I needed from it.  Those parts On that fleetwwod are super rare and highy  sought after parts. I was luckey to have goten it. An lot nice stuff Not pited junk etc on car .

Those fleetwoods are rare cars for sure etc just like eldo etc. I can also practise cuting floor pans out from car since I never did before On fleetwwod. I need learn where I can weld In new floor in my eldo etc. I need learn where can body shop dont charge 2000 to 4000 dollers etc. I have saw But need buy an special tool since . I have cut it perfect becides just cuting where I want cut or where saw goes etc when I cuting the roof and fins from car.

Its beter practice cuting straight lines etc becides risk destroying my eldo for sure. If mess up On parts car etc. Its no big deal since I am parting any way.

I need figure out how cut floors etc In section. Are tools out becides plasma cuter I cant afford. My saw is two big etc. I need read up On that. I guess Next thing is going get seat from car and In trash, and read about floors replacement etc , braces etc to hold car in place etc.

Dale

dale jackson 20895

I finished it . I cut It at winsheild and rockers , trans tunnel .  From firewall back its bare rolling chassis. I even rolled up wiring from rear of car to front.

I will save front clip, dash and chassis parts intill later In I need those parts. It long time clean up mess etc. Its funny looking with bare chassis and front clip and engine etc still there.

I need get lower bodywork done on my eldo first then start moving brakes , chassis parts , front clip parts ac parts etc from fleetwwod to my eldo.

Then later I will get torch and cut up rolling frame etc and have sold for scrap.  I dont think an person would need the x frame from car. That frame is tough. I cant cut with my saw.

Dale

wayne #17075

I googled hot rods and street rods and found several sight. Placed an ad and got someone to pay to take away a 60 Buick. Plus it ends up being someones pride and joy!

Matt V16

Are you saying that you are doing all this hard work just to save $150? Maybe I am wrong, however, it seems like you take on too much.

Rhino 21150

If you have a circular saw (Skilsaw) you can put an abrasive metal cutting blade in it and slowly chew up the frame. Make a cut, let saw cool, make another. I took apart a Fiat that way. Put the entire car, except what I sold for parts, in the trash.

dale jackson 20895

Main reason I did all extra work etc was I could learn Precise use Of my saw- saz and learn how cut metal etc .

The other reason why I took all extra precise time was. I wanted be careful etc and not cut Into trans or brakes or whatever down there.

Let me tell yu something there shortarge Of 1960 cadillac parts. There are certain Parts I cant buy from cadillac suplliers since Dont have them In stock Or dont reproduce them. They dont make reproduction body braces under floors and replacement quater sheatmetal etc. If person wanted buy an trans tunnel etc to an 1959 or 1960 rust bucket. I have invotory aslong with lower quater panals for patch panels etc. I can On ebay at later date If I wanted to.

Dont laugh But On parts For my car. I am buying lots repro chevy buick, or any other Gm car etc to get the parts I need. I dont have choice But study parts book photes Of other 1959 thur 1960 chevys etc to compare parts.

I just bought 300 bucks hardware etc from an 1959 chevy I will have to use since I cant buy from cadillac peaple. My top frame bolt kit is from an 1959 or 1960 chevy. I just bought 1959 thru 1970 chevy fullsize inerchange book for 25 bucks. I will have have read it etc to to learn what Parts were same cadillac. I will have buy chevy etc to rebuild this cadillac.

The cadillac parts guys must have took Off from jobs etc. Mcveys website Is down, Usa parts suplly All my parts were back ordored etc. Its been going on for monlths . I still Dont have clue when I will ever get them.  Mastmermind phone dont work and I dont know If shutdown Or even open ?????

I cant get classic fab On phone to buy my floors pans etc I need.  I may have Check to see If they same 1960 chevy. If they are I will buy them.

Its seems An lot parts etc I will Have make or fab etc. I cant buy them. Example I will I have cut an computer case shell To remake  or repair the  Rear Convertible Onley rear panals and sheetmetal etc to cover up the wiring Under door sealls In car.I have serval sets Of rusted metal I could use as templete.  

Its seems since I cant get the parts I need I have buy from buick, or any other gm car etc to get them Or fab or remake My self.  Thats the main reason behind the etxra work.

Its sad but I just get the parts I need for car. I afraid To totol destory My other 1960 car. I may need whatever part from car.

All I say there shortage Of 1959 thru 1960 cadillac parts etc since cadilac guys dont have them Or will reproduce them like an chevy.

Its an not quastion Of trying save money . I just cant get them. Trust Me I been saving money since chevy are cheaper than cadillac.

I dont know yet But If cant an driver door and decklid , two rust free front fenders, wiring etc I need since My is sliced up etc.

I may have destory an secord car to get My parts etc I need. Its sad but true The guy Before Destoyed 2 Or 3 other 1960 cadillacs to get parts to rebuild my car. His body were all rusted out From eldo serville parts car they cut up etc for more parts. The restore shop Lost his parts etc.  Its sad but parts are so hard to get. Its not funny.

Dale

dale jackson 20895

Thats sound Good try that On frame etc. . I guess Its worth an try On frame On car .  I make frame shorter etc at rear axle becides very long.  It would help some in my building etc where Its at. It would Give more work space etc Intill My eldo body shell Is ready to start moving parts over from car to other car.

I been cleaning up shop and trying salvage parts etc and move them To my other building where I clean up some and flood ebay again parts to sale I dont need or will ever use.

This I am hoping I get lots parts listed On ebay and sale them becides relist and relist. I did get luckey this monlth and sold out On 61 and 62 eldo parts. Still have 63 or 64 , 59 and 60 parts My eldo cant use to sale.

Its will  give more space to work etc becides raise More money I need to buy more parts etc My car needes. I paid for all my parts so far selling My collection Of parts.

Who knows maybe I can sale the rear axle parts and front axle parts From that old 60 fleetwwod etc. I was thinking I need tear down rear axle later and sale pumpkin from it, axle shafhts , control shafhts etc.  Throw housing In scrap metal pile to sold scrap with the rusted body shell parts etc.

With part shortage On 59 and 60 cadillac . I could maybe make money and keep using to pay restore etc Like been doing .

I know before I got my parts car. I was trying buy parts etc On ebay . I almost never found them etc. Maybe I could help Other 1960 cadillac guys keep there car running etc.

Dale

Donald Lieberman

Hello

If I am not to late I need the large plastic air handler under the dash it sits in the center if it is good I will buy it from you
donohmite@yahoo.com

Don