News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

51 Distributor cap and rotor problem

Started by Rod D. Olson, March 09, 2006, 12:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod D. Olson

Hi, gang.
Hope someone can answer this.
Ive purchased a 51 62 series sedan with the original motor.
The distributor cap was cracked so I needed a replacement.
But all the parts houses show a different one.
They are taller and dont have the correct notch in the
bottom to lock it in place.
I had a spare distributor for my other 51 and it has the same short cap.(the rotor is the low profile too, so I need that to fit the cap.)
What gives? Do they not make the short cap anymore? I dont want to buy another distributor if I dont have to.
Seems that the 331 was pretty standard from 49-52.
Thanks,
Rod

Joe G.12138

IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOUVE GOT A 1950 TYPE DISTRIBUTOR. Maybe you could check the numbers in a parts book or someone could check them against theirs.

Rod Olson #15736

Joe, Thanks for the info.
That appears to be the difference.
Strangely enough the  2 distributors I have must be of
1950 vintage.
The Delco # is 1110819/OE2.
The AC Delco books show the rotor for this(the cap
it takes shows as a 48.) is part Delco # 1912686 suppression
type but they were discontinued in 1984.)
The 51-52 are different so I assume it was a running change and
both of my cars are very early 51.
Anyone have suggestions as to where these rotors can be still found?
Thanks,
Rod  

Joe G 12138

The original round type suppressor rotors (same as 46-49/50) pop up on Ebay quite regularly.
I recently bought aftermarket (non-suppressor) rotor and cap from Autozone (Wells brand). Its special order, but pretty cheap.
The original type suppressor rotors are intended to be used with the original type wires with copper conductors. (Packard 440 etc.). If youre using the modern type wires with graphite or carbon conductors, the non-suppession aftermarket rotor works best.
  Either way, radio static should be reduced. If you use both the suppresion rotor and aftermarket non-copper wires, the car will usually still run but the spark may be weak.Voltage is getting dropped across 2 seies resistances instead of 1.
  Ive heard of other early 51s with 1950 type parts.